All Topics / Help Needed! / buying managed Quest apartments

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Melb InvesterMelb Invester
    Participant
    @melbinvester1

Hi,

any thoughts on these types of investment? (under 250K)

1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartment within the expertly managed Quest on Bourke complex is a secure option where you can sit back, relax and reap the rewards of guaranteed tenancy and great returns of $18,764.76 per annum (with annual increase).

Current rental: $18,764.76 per annum
    Current option: 1 x 5 years option after current lease
    Owner pays: owner corporation fees of $3315.57 per annum and council rates of $762.83 per annum
    Tenant pays: water rates, insurance, general maintenance, water usage and refurbishment costs.

MI

Profile photo of DeanCollinsDeanCollins
    Participant
    @deancollins

I think you’ll still need additional landlords insurance……just a fyi.

Apart from that 7% is a good roi……after expenses but before interest.

Keep in mind I have NO IDEA what a Quest apartment is.

Profile photo of StannisStannis
    Participant
    @ben-stanton0

Hi MI,

I looked at Quest serviced apartments a couple of years ago. There’s a couple of things to consider.

The bank believes these are higher risk investment, and there will be a lower LVR (so less funds from the bank). From memory ANZ said they would only loan 70% (check these figures) which means more capital and harder access to any equity growth.

The resale can be harder, as you are only marketing to people who want to buy into a serviced apartment complex. Effectively you cut out a lot of your market in comparison to say, reselling a house.

The other thing is the marketing – sign up to the quest service apartment marketing and they will hammer you with “specials” on a weekly basis. I ended up un-subscribing.

Rental yields and guaranteed returns are always great, it just needs to be weighed up with the rest – higher capital outlay, less access to equity, more difficulty in resale. Also there is the consideration that you are in a strata scheme, which can have its own difficulties and costs.

Consider your strategy and what your cashflow will be like after tax, as well as your cash on cash return. I much prefer to build duplexes (owning both sides), which has a higher yields, you are totally in control (no strata or if you strata title you own both titles) and although duplexes may also be a lesser LVR (as opposed to a standard 90% house – I got a 85% LVR) there is a much higher ability to resell. Consider what your exit plan is.

Best of luck,
    Ben

Profile photo of Melb InvesterMelb Invester
    Participant
    @melbinvester1

Thanks Ben, Point taken.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I would agree with Ben serviced apartments make a bad investment. The cash flow is not that great and the capital growth is very poor. Often companies sell this stuff based on the cash flows however in most cases you need between 30 and 40% deposit because thee properties are considered commercial.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

No. They are not the best for most investors 9 times out of 10.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.