All Topics / Help Needed! / High Yield NZ Cheap Investment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Vokat25Vokat25
    Participant
    @vokat25

Hi there,

Last year I became aware of 3 properties coming up for sale in a low socio economic, small town in NZ.

The properties are owned by a family who inherited them and have decided to sell and split the cash following ongoing disputes with each other.

They are all 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom weatherboard homes 1960s era and they hit the market for $39k NZD each!

One sold to a long time tenant and the other two are still available. I am looking at one of them which has a tenant whose been there for 18 years, has their rent of $125 a week paid direct from their social security benefit each week and is praying that whoever buys the property will let them stay on for good.

Recently my husband and I paid out a Citibank ready credit loan early and they’ve now offered us $25k at 5.9% for 2 years. We’d normally turn offers like this down and not be tempted but after speaking to the agent trying to sell the properties he’s said I should be able to by the house in question for $30k NZD and I’m tempted to take the offer from Citibank, top it up out of our savings and buy the house in NZ. We’d be able to pay it off in less then 2 years and then have ongoing income of $125 less expenses which in NZ really isn’t much at all. They have no stamp duty, land tax or capital gains tax and my father in law in NZ who is quite the handyman and bored out of his brain during retirement is happy to manage it for us.

We currently are renting on the Gold Coast, husband earns good money and although we’ve been for a home loan here and been approved, we’ve always decided against going ahead because of all the costs involved and the property prices but we like the idea of having an investment property at home in NZ.

The rates are $1856 per year and the house is valued at $67k NZD

There probably wouldn’t be much capital growth but if we bought the property without a mortgage and then owned it outright I was toying with the idea of using it as collateral to buy another investment property later on and then maybe even using them both as collateral to buy our own home in NZ when we move home later on.

Based on the figures above does it sound like a good investment or am I missing something here? Can anyone suggest something else instead?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of wobblysquarewobblysquare
    Participant
    @wobblysquare

Income = 6500.
    Expenses =
    1856 – rates
    1000 – insurance
    1200 – repairs
    So net income = 2444.

Giving an income of 2444, for 30000 outlay, or 8.14% net.

Not bad. The questions then all relate to
    1) vacancy rates (rental demand)
    2) tenant hassles (low socio-economic)
    3) likelihood of employment in the area increasing….or alternatively retiree appeal.
    4) who are you going to sell it too when you exit

On the surface the investment seems very reasonable. Good enough return, potential for capital growth. One warning sign might be though if it is valued at $67k and selling at $30k….WHY? Has a big employer in the area closed up shop? What is the rental demand in the area now? What is the rental demand in the area likely to be like in the future? When you come to sell who are you selling it too in the future? $125 rental per week is very low.

If you believe that the housing (rental and owner) demand in the future to improve (compared to now) then it should be a good investment for you. If you are not sure, then you need to find out more – talk to locals.

Good luck
    Wobbly

Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

Agree with Wobbly

-Rental Demand (for how long if its a small town)
    -Likely hood of population growth
    -Exit strategy or Hold strategy

there is a reason for the price, talk to local agents, people, family anyone who can shed more light on it before you chuck the money that way.

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

I just looked at nz properties, I think if you could get a renewal of lease for that Tenant and get it for 5 years on a fair price that your happy with, this could be another safe guard added.

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.