All Topics / General Property / 24 year old first property

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of MattMatt
    Participant
    @daf101

Hi All,

I currently live in Western Australia. I have managed to get together a 20k deposit and I’m looking to invest. My long term goal is to one day replace my income so I can either retire early or work because I want to, not because I need to. My current salary is just over 60k

I’m currently reading from 0 – 130 Properties in 3.5 years by Steve McKnight. I started a couple of months ago and have learned a lot since then.

Anyway, I’m in a lot of confusion at the moment because I’ve found an flat in Como, Western Australia, that’s got a 5.95% return on it for 350,000 (400 a week rent). I’m contemplating buying it despite the low deposit and going to be stuck with Lender Mortgage insurance because it appears to be a good deal compared to the others I’ve been looking at (I’ve been looking all over the place for the last 2 months, going to home opens every weekend and researching what money I could potentially make on them). I’m hoping that the value will go up, and hopefully I’ll be able to pay a lot of the principle off over the next 3 years, then change the loan to interest only and be able to get a good Positive cash flow return.

I’ve spoken with a friend and he’s disagreed with buying into this flat because it’s a complex of 60 and the capital gains won’t be great, and suggest since my deposit is low, that’s really what I’ll need right now because of the low deposit

So in conclusion:
    – I’m 24
    – 60k + a year salary
    – 20k deposit
    – Looking to replace my own income one day
    – Should I consider buying it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can’t explain the anxiety of not feeling 100% prepared in terms of knowledge and the idea of saying no to a potentially really awesome deal because I simply didn’t no better.

Thank you!
    daf101.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Matt

I agree with your friend. A complex of 60 means you will always be competing against several other properties that are the same as yours, whether you be trying to rent or sell your property. That means your property will have no point of difference, which tends to result in discounting.

Capital growth is important as it helps you leapfrog into additional properties sooner through equity release to fund deposits on the next property, and the next. However if you cannot afford to hang onto property number 1 (due to low yields or lots of vacancy) then you may not be able to afford to hang on while hoping for the growth.

So ensure you can afford to hang on for the ride. If this will not be the case in the suburb you are looking at, then you either save a bigger deposit, find a huge bargain, or hunt in a different suburb.

Remove the words “hope” and “hoping” from your plan and deal with cold hard known facts instead.

The anxiety you are feeling might not actually be anxiety, but a discomfort with reconciling with the fact that academically, you know that the plan you are considering does not stack up. Revert to facts and let them guide you.

The $20k won’t be enough to fund a 5% deposit and stamp duty and solicitor fees and building and pest inspection, so take a look at what these fees are likely to be to understand your goalposts. WA stamp duty rates are here: http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/State_Revenue/Duties/Rates/Rates_of_Duty.aspx

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Matt,
    Good on you for turning your sights this way at such a young age. It is really good that you already have a sizable amount of savings, and this will be the start of something good as you are obviously looking to use it in a profitable way.

What I would suggest is that you set aside time (and some $$) to educate yourself in your chosen investing technique BEFORE you get into it seriously. In my case, I gave myself almost a year once deciding to “do real estate” to learn, read, and meet other investors, and I paid to attend seminars too (selectively though….) before buying my first IP.

I’m hoping that the value will go up, and hopefully I’ll be able to pay a lot of the principle off over the next 3 years, then change the loan to interest only and be able to get a good Positive cash flow return.

Re the above comment, I’d suggest a rethink – and the link I attach may well help you. See, many investors avoid paying off the Principal of an IP loan, as any Interest paid for IP’s are Tax Deductible. Instead, they use their after-Tax (spare) funds to pay down non-deductible debt (car loan, house loan, personal loans, credit cards, etc).

Here is the link I direct new members to – it highlights a number of areas that new investors need to know :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410491-the-big-picture-for-new-readers-especially/

I hope it is of use to you. Do stick around and keep asking questions – it shows you are thinking, and that is great.

Benny

Profile photo of MattMatt
    Participant
    @daf101

Hi Benny,

Thank you for your response. The reason why I’m thinking of paying Principle and Interest is because I want to have an LVR of 80%, then change to interest only. As a result, the repayments will be lower and the rent will be higher then creating positive cashflow. If I do pay the principle of in addition to the interest, am I able to still claim the interest as a tax deduction. Also, I was thinking of moving in for the first 12 months to claim the first home owners grant, do any renovations if needed and be able to sell the property CGT free in 5 years from now if I choose to. Would that impact the ability to claim the tax on the interest also?

Thanks for the link, I’ll be sure to check it out and take it on board.

Thanks again for your help.
    Matt.

Profile photo of MattMatt
    Participant
    @daf101

Hi JacM,

Thank you for your response.
    Regarding your view on the large complex, if the flat is renovated with a newer kitchen etc, would this be more advantageous in your opinion if you were searching for a tenant?

When it comes to looking for a suburb to look in, so there an industry technique or standard that good investors tend to use to find it, then once they’ve found it, what’s best? A Unit or a house?

If I move into the property for 12 months as a first home buyer, will this remove the fee’s you mentioned before? (I’m trying to understand the tax implications that might have at this stage also.

Thanks again for your help and insights,
    Matt.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Matt,

The reason why I’m thinking of paying Principle and Interest is because I want to have an LVR of 80%, then change to interest only.

In that link I added last post, DO be sure to read the reference to Offset Accounts as well as the Do I pay PandI or IO?

See, Offset Accounts can have you effectively “paying off 20% of your Principal” without actually paying it off !!! It is neat, and is a very important concept to be familiar with.

Happy reading,
    Benny

Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

Matt Im 22 from gold coast and just did what your contemplating and in my opinion there is no right or wrong in doing or not doing it (right now)
    the question I asked myself and felt comfortable with (was looking for 14 months before I found the place I wanted) was
    -Is it financially beneficial to get this property over saving more of a deposit
    -What is the risk
    -Am I comfortable taking that chance.

That is the simple things I think you should understand and draw your own line.

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

Profile photo of Jess PeletierJess Peletier
    Participant
    @jaylou

Hi Matt,

As mentioned, on a $350k property you’ll need a larger deposit. The stamp duty in WA will be $11125 if you’re going to rent it out, but is only $390 if you use your FHB, so that will make it worthwhile to look at.

Buying costs can be around $3000 for legals and inspections so you’ll need to budget for that too.

You’ll need a minimum of 5% of the purchase price as well, but I would recommend saving at least 7% as it opens up many more lenders. At 5% you have a choice of 2 lenders and you’ll need everything to be perfect to qualify.

Also, make sure you look at all the other costs involved with apartments (and houses too for that matter), like body corporate, insurances, rates etc. These things can add a huge cost and ruin what you thought was good cashflow.

Jess Peletier | Seed Financial
    http://www.seedfinancial.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker - Perth and Australia wide

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can’t explain the anxiety of not feeling 100% prepared in terms of knowledge and the idea of saying no to a potentially really awesome deal because I simply didn’t no better.

Sometimes saying no to a potentially awesome deal is better than saying yes to a potentially bad deal.

Cheers
    Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Regarding your view on the large complex, if the flat is renovated with a newer kitchen etc, would this be more advantageous in your opinion if you were searching for a tenant?

Not necessarily. In a complex of 60, you won’t be the only one with a newer kitchen. Also sometimes tenants prefer a lower priced rent even if it means a brown kitchen. In this regard some times it is harder to rent out shiny new things.

When it comes to looking for a suburb to look in, so there an industry technique or standard that good investors tend to use to find it, then once they’ve found it, what’s best? A Unit or a house?

It depends on your local tenant market and what it wants.

If I move into the property for 12 months as a first home buyer, will this remove the fee’s you mentioned before? (I’m trying to understand the tax implications that might have at this stage also.

You can never get out of paying solicitors and building and pest guys. As to whether stamp duty would be payable or would be discounted to you would depend on the legislation (at time of purchase) in the state in which the property is located.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

A lot of great responses here. As always, sometimes patience and saving more can lead to more fruitful results – remember how long it takes to save that initial deposit in total, so a couple more weeks/months is a drop in the ocean!

As per property selection, I wouldn’t touch a property in a large complex with a ten foot barge pole.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.