All Topics / Help Needed! / How to evict a tenant?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of property_avidproperty_avid
    Participant
    @property_avid

Dear All,

I really am hoping that you guys in this forum can help me with my issue. I have never thought I would get a bad tenant, until today. Here is the story:

I am the owner of an NRAS property in Annerley, QLD, and since September last year, a new tenant moved in. Everything went well, until last month he has showed difficulty in paying rent. Up to now, he has been six weeks in arrears.

My agent has issued him a notice to leave last week, and tomorrow is the last day he is supposed to leave. When my agent inspected the property today, they were disgusted at the state the property is in. Tenant’s daughter and another lady was home at the time of inspection (but they were not in the contract). The whole apartment was extremely dirty and messy. There was a jack russell in the apartment at the
    time of the inspection, with dog food over the floor. The apartment smells of cigarettes. It was very hard to walk through the apartment due to the amount of clutter. Ceiling fan was extremely dusty; filthy toilet and basin, and heavily stained courtyard. The property smelt extremely badly of cigarette smoke, and there was also a full ash tray out on the couch as well. The carpets are heavily stained, as are some of the walls and also the back patio.

My question is, if you are familiar with law in Queensland, what is the best and quickest way to get this tenant evicted? Is there a possibility for me to recoup the money needed for the cleaning, and to restore the unit to its previous state?

Please help, and share if you have similar experience too. Thank you in advance for your reply and assistance.

Kind regards,

Ricky

property_avid | NA

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

my insurance paid for everything when a tenant did damage. Landlords insurance was with EBM insurance. Had all new carpets, new curtains, new built-in furniture that was broken (a fold down bed worth $5000). They even paid the rent while all the work was done. Keeping in mind though they wanted to replace the carpet in one bedroom only, however I said no way he whole apartment needed carpet to match. Claim was $20K, insurance paid me $19.5K – $500 excess.

The insurance company then goes after the tenant, not me. Make sure you have the original tenancy application, this is what they wanted as it has all there details (drivers licence etc).

Hope you have insurance??????

Profile photo of DeanCollinsDeanCollins
    Participant
    @deancollins

How much do you pay per annum for your landlords insurance through EBM insurance? What were the terms apart from $500 excess?

Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

I cannot remember who my wife chose to have our insurances through, but I am pretty sure we pay around $900 per property/year.

Profile photo of blackhotelblackhotel
    Participant
    @blackhotel

Ebm is a flat fee $345pa, but this is for strata properties only. I think from memory $500 excess was for claim of wilful damage by tenants.

Profile photo of jaredjared
    Participant
    @waxie

I would not have rental property on my house. Its about 9 dollars a week and tax deductable

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

If you have rental properties you have to expect these things to happen. If you don’t already have Landlord insurance make this a lesson and never go without it going forward. As long as you have the relevant insurance and all your paperwork in check (entry report, routine inspections, notice of breaches and eviction), then it will always be a pain in the ass but financially won’t be too much of a hit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.