All Topics / Help Needed! / Architect design vs building company design development??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Freezer15Freezer15
    Participant
    @freezer15

Hi all,

I am in the early stages of planing a small residential development. I will be looking to buy a property, knock down the existing dwelling and construct 3 new ones.

My question is: Is it more cost effective to get an architect to draw up some plans and get various building companies to quote those plans, or go directly to a mainstream building company and adjust their existing plan templates to suit the block requirements??

Much appreciated.

Profile photo of PimobpiPimobpi
    Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi Freezer15,

Noticed that your questions have not been answered as yet so I thought I’d try.

I believe that it would be cheaper in price to go to mainstream builders and have them adjust their existing plans to suit your block however I have a few points for you to consider before doing that.

There are only a few mainstream builders that build more than 2 dwellings on the one title – even if your intention is to subdivide into 3 lots, they will not build on it unless you subdivide it first (which I would not recommend you subdividing before you build).

I know of one mainstream builder that builds more than 2 dwellings on a single title but I’m sure there are some others out there, certainly not as many as you think. I am not sure whether I can tell you there name on this forum but their name starts with B.

A benefit of going to a mainstream builder is that they may have completed display homes that suit your block and you can view them in real time – that will give you a great indication what the builds will look like in reality.
    A disadvantage of going to a mainstream builder would be that they may not be specialized in building townhouses or undergoing projects to maximize the area of your land or they may not have a floor-plan that you like or that you believe is perfect for the area. These are important facts. Better floor-plans are needed especially when block size space is not abundant. Are they experienced with multiple dwelling applications for council planning permits? etc.

I would suggest you interview (free) an independent draftsman/architect first and get their basic opinions about what they could do with your block and what they have done with developments close by. Go knocking on doors of the developments close by and ask who they used. Experience counts! Then go to the mainstream builders and run through the process again with them. In the end, I am sure that you will choose the builder who gives you the best quality for your budget and the builder that you feel most comfortable with.

Also, some medium / smaller volume builders may suit you better. Do you know anyone who has used a builder lately and is very happy. Speak to them.

Good luck to you. More happiness and wealth to you.
    Regards.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.