All Topics / Help Needed! / Depreciation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of fudge111fudge111
    Participant
    @fudge111

Hi there property investors.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit more information about the way the depreciation on investment property’s works.

I have only the basic knowledge thus far. I have heard that it is 4% for houses built between 1985-87 and for houses built from 1987 onwards 2.5%

1) Is this % the value of the whole property, or just the building itself?
    2) If you have a house built in say 1987, can you depreciate it for only 3 years or will it be for as long as you own it?
    3) Is the depreciation each year deducted from the principal of the house for the next years depreciation amount?

Also, I have heard there are also depreciation rates on fixures/fittings/carpets/curtains etc.

4) Are these only on items you have added through renovation, or can it be the existing items that were already there when you bought the property?

Thank you all,

Look forward to hearing your answers,

fudge111

• This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of fudge111 fudge111.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of fudge111 fudge111.
    Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Depreciation schedules cover the building itself, as well as the internal fixtures, fittings, improvements etc. This includes items which already existed at purchase, so long as the items are still depreciable by their age.

There’s a whole other bunch of other factors including low value pools etc, where you can writeoff a lot of depreciation very early on – it’s not a simple calculation, hence why it’s well worth getting the experts in.

Many Depreciation companies will only complete a depreciation schedule if there is sufficient deductions to cover the report in the first year at a minimum. I personally use and recommend http://www.depreciator.com.au for clients needing depreciation schedules – they’re well known for their fantastic service and quality of their reports.

Clients of my business also receive a slight discount on their reports if they let me know they need one – feel free to flick me an email if you’re interested.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of fudge111fudge111
    Participant
    @fudge111

Thanks Corey,

I am just in the preparation stages and am yet to buy my first investment property.

Thanks for the advice on who to use for a depreciation schedule.

Would it be fair to say though that if the house is built before 1985 you would not get the same depreciation benefits as properties post 1985?

If so, that would be a huge factor in whether or not you would purchase the property I would think…

Fudge111

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

I wouldn’t say it would be a huge factor, as the majority of properties pre/post ’85 have had works completed to them, which plays into the calculations. I’ve got properties build in the 60’s which have 5-6k depreciation in yr 1 because of renovations, whereas I also have late 80’s properties with limited depreciation at all.

Buy investments which have strong fundamentals – depreciation is just the icing on the cake.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Participant
    @fudge111

Great thanks for the understanding Corey,

I now understand depreciation a lot better. I was under the impression that it was all about predominantly how new the house was. It is good to know that the amount that you can claim can potentially be more on an older property than a newer one.

Cheers

fudge111

Profile photo of Mark Mendel (iBuyNew)Mark Mendel (iBuyNew)
    Participant
    @markmendel-ibuynew

Hi Fudge111,

Residential buildings built after 17 July 1985 depreciate by 2.5% per annum of the original construction cost. This can be claimed for a total of 40 years with year one providing you with the highest claims.

Because you receive the most depreciation in year one, buying a brand new property or a property off the plan allows you to reap in these savings, which an older property won’t be able to provide you with (unless you renovate it, or it has been renovated). Also, say you purchase an established property that was built in 1987, this makes the property 28 years old this year, meaning you only have 12 years left to claim depreciation.

You can claim depreciation on internal fittings and fixtures, which includes things like carpets, air-conditioning systems, blinds and microwaves. These can depreciate from anywhere between 10% to almost 40% per annum for the first five years depending on the initial cost. If these items cost less than $300, these costs can be claimed straight away.

As Corey mentions, it is best to seek the advice of a Quantity Surveyor and get a depreciation schedule drawn up to know exactly what you can and cannot claim.

Don’t forget that depreciation is a way to reduce your taxable income and can only be claimed on investment properties that are producing an income, but you should not be solely buying an IP based on reducing your tax.

Mark Mendel (iBuyNew) | iBuyNew
    https://www.ibuynew.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your partner in off the plan property

Participant
    @fudge111

Thanks Mark,

That really does answer my questions well…

I will definitely use a quantity surveyor to maximise the amount of depreciation expenses, but just wanted to get a general idea about how the system works.

Regards

fudge111

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi fudge

Whilst Mark will spin you all the reasons why you should buy new also remember that any Capital Allowance claim made on property during your period of ownership reduces the Cost Base when you come to sell the property and increases the CGT payable accordingly.

For you purchased a property for $500,000, claiming an amount of $50,000 in Capital Allowance claims during the period of ownership the cost base when you sell the property will now be $450,000.

As Cory mentions Tax credits are a bonus and could be reduced or scrapped at any time by the Government.

When you read that the cost of negative gearing in this Country is $20 B / Annum it is almost inevitable that the May budget will bring with a raft of changes to property claims.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @fudge111

Hi Richard,

Does this reduction in the cost base also include depreciation on all the fixtures/fittings/carpet or just the depreciation on the building as a whole?

Cheers

fudge111

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.