All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Anyone in NSW rent out part of their own residence or know pitfalls?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of MoggieeMoggiee
    Participant
    @moggiee

Hi there

We would like to buy a bigger house and rent out a part of it to assist with paying the mortgage. I would like them to install a second kitchen so it can be a house share with own amenities. Thus we can avoid land tax on another investment property. HOWEVER, I have read on this forum that if you put in a new kitchen it would make it second dwelling and if you get sued for something your insurance won’t cover you etc….but I cannot find anything in the State Environment Planning Policy (it covers gazebos and BBQs but not kitchens).

I contacted my local council and they told me I would have to get a DA for the kitchen and also I would be running a Boarding House and got zero guidance and wasn’t referred to any legislation I would need to comply with.

Has anyone done this and not ‘risking it all’? If so, what do I need to do? Any advice gratefully received :)

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Don’t assume you can avoid land tax, your main residence may be subject to land tax, in some states, if it is income producing.

you should look at the insurance contracts, not the EPP for the insurance question. Look at the boarding houses act

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Are talking about splitting the house and you occupying part and renting out the other part?

If that is the case you need to submit it to council and you will be required to put a fire wall between the 2 residences to make it legal. Without that, as you say, your insurance will wipe you. To install a second kitchen you should get council approval but just doing this will not make it legal to rent that part out separately. You may be able to have a relative stay in that part.

We have done this. PM if you want more details.

Profile photo of MoggieeMoggiee
    Participant
    @moggiee

Thank you guys. Am starting to go off the idea….

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

As stated its much more complicated than just building a kitchen. There are other ways to plan minimal land tax across a portfolio. In my view there are problems with contaminating the PPOR as income producing so this may not be the best way forward.

What is more important is having a set of goals to start with. Work backwards from that. What do you want property to help you achieve? Think about what kinds of properties will be the best vehicles to arrive at that destination.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.