All Topics / Legal & Accounting / obligations to pay for legal services??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of darkness72darkness72
    Participant
    @darkness72

Hi

I may be a little ignorant with how things work in the legal fraternity.

I sought some initial direction / options regarding how I may proceed with some legal advice/opinion from a cold call/email to a legal firm.

I am wondering is it expected that the client should automatically expect that if speaking to a legal firm / solicitor that a bill / charge will be expected.

I perhaps stupidly did not consider this. I received some limited advice / options. At no time was a made aware that there would be any charges, not was i advised of any fee schedule or contract to sign to engage their services.

I thought that at such time that the firm would have to charge me, they would advise me that ‘ any further assistance would cost …abc amount.

I have received a bill in the mail for a couple of hundred dollars.

Am i being unreasonable to request this bill be reviewed / cancelled??

Profile photo of Kate AshmorKate Ashmor
    Participant
    @kateashmor

You are being very reasonable. Lawyers cannot charge their clients without advising them of their fees in advance and obtaining their informed consent. The Legal Services Commissioner/equivalent in your State will be able to clarify your rights.

My firm provides informal “cold call” advice via phone and email all the time (especially in relation to conveyancing) and we never charge for it.

Kate Ashmor | Ashmor Legal Pty Ltd
    http://www.ashmorlegal.com.au
    Email Me

Property Lawyer and Opiner

Profile photo of WesWes
    Participant
    @craig25

I am no expert but from memory you need an offer and acceptance to form a contract. Seems a bit harsh to me with out knowing all the details.

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Legal services commission?

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.