All Topics / Opinionated! / Knighthood, Leadership, Confidence and Interest Rates

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MilkTruckMilkTruck
    Participant
    @milktruck

Having got past the Rudd/Gillard/Ruddd debacle we find ourselves in the same dilemma once again.

Tony Abbott promised to push the ‘reset’ button for the start of this year but it is looking more likely it was the ‘eject’ button after knighting Prince Philip. I can’t remember any dumber political moves in recent times which are typically filled up with lies. (But who’s really surprised when a politician lies?)

Anyway, I think this whole knighthood affair has killed Abbott’s credibility and he’s going to be on the nose for a long time. Backbencher’s can sense it and are agitating for leadership change. I don’t think he can recover politically and whether he ends up getting toppled or not the rot has set in. Instability is going to be the backdrop.

I’m just speculating now but i reckon if this instability continues it will feed into consumer and business confidence and hence the economy. I’m just wondering if this may have tipped the reserve bank over the line for it’s interest rate cut yesterday.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hey MilkTruck,

Welcome to the Forum.

Nothing like a little controversy or for a first post, hey?

I wonder… are you normally a Liberal or Labor voter?

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

A pro-monarchist, English born snob knighting one of his own ? Who would have thought.
    Yes, of course it will erode business confidence. Murdoch tweeting from the other side of the world giving unsolicitored advice to the PM to sack his chief of staff. Priceless.
    Abbott is a dream come true for any non liberal voter.

Deafening silence from the conservatives……crickets anyone?

Profile photo of MilkTruckMilkTruck
    Participant
    @milktruck

Hey Steve,

Haha! I was feeling a little bit opinionated.

Who I vote for … now that would be telling. But I usually hang centre/right – make of that what you will! The saying “love is blind” still has its limitations though.

:D

Participant
    @milktruck

Hey Lalibella,

I agree that it was an interesting tweet by Murdoch. Probably had the opposite effect though, I mean how can Abbott possibly sack Credlin at the public behest of Murdoch? His private entreaties to Abbott must have gone unheeded – has fairfax written something like that yet ;)

MT

Participant
    @milktruck

So Abbott survived this time avoiding a spill motion 61-39.

I’d be going with the glass as 40% empty not 60% full. I’m sure there’s another 10-20 against him who didn’t want to pull the trigger for various reasons.

Having said that I think the gap is just enough for him to keep authority in the party and give him the clearance in the media if he doesn’t make another stupefying blunder or court controversy with an ill advised captain’s pick.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Interesting to look back at this thread now we have a new PM. Seriously hoping Turnbull can put a good show on, develop some new technology industry capacity in this nation and get a bit of direction going. We don’t need a new PM every year or so.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.