All Topics / Value Adding / Haggling tradies?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of SamBoySamBoy
    Participant
    @samartz

Whats the best way to haggle tradies?
    I know one way is to get a few quotes and compare and bargain with each one. Also to do it tax free but that might lead to problems with warranties. My other big concern is also tradies giving a cheaper quote but doing a more dodgy job that I cant see visibly.
    23 and starting out so Thanks for any advice!

Profile photo of myriad12myriad12
    Participant
    @patmay

Make sure you check their ABN and license number – 2-3 quotes would be enough and look for tradies in the area where the work is.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

I wouldn’t bother with haggling a tradie on price. Get the quotes around, if you don’t like it don’t take up the quote. Haggling them on price is a great way to get them offside.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hi mate –

being in a building family, I am lucky that I don’t have to do this, we have a good team that I just call and they get a quality job done and at a fair price.

Depending on the type of job – haggling will be a waste of time, if you need a handyman, by all means just google a tradie and get some quotes, however, if you need a reliable sparky or plumber then try to get a mate in the industry to recommend one. At the end of the job, pay them and offer them a VB that will help. Like Corey said, don’t piss them off.

Don’t do the cash thing – if its an IP, you can claim it, so get a invoice with GST. Warranties arnt a huge issue with small jobs.

Good luck

Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I wouldn’t bother with haggling a tradie on price. Get the quotes around, if you don’t like it don’t take up the quote. Haggling them on price is a great way to get them offside.

100% agree.

You need to build rapport with tradies – not get them off side.

Get a couple of quotes and go from there.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

You need to build rapport with tradies – not get them off side.

Haggle everything always.

The trick (and its hard don’t get me wrong) is to get a better price while maintaining a good relationship.

I also come from a building family. The trades time is money. The more time they have to spend on bs the less time for work. There are things you can do your end to help:

* make access easy
    * return calls and be easily contactable
    * pay on time
    * clean up
    * don’t double book trades

Also, make sure you tell the trades that price is important at the outset. Some trades have a precise quoting process and some individuals are just simply going to charge based on supply and demand of their services.

If you don’t need a job done for 6 weeks plan it now and get someone booked in for then. It will help them out to know they have work for March booked in and you may get a better price.

Don’t negotiate over the phone or email. Waste of time. Hope that helps.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Don Nicolussi Don Nicolussi.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Don Nicolussi Don Nicolussi.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.