All Topics / Value Adding / Land and Building Costs over duration of a project

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

Hi all – I’ve been reading through some of these development threads and they are very interesting.
    I am currently a property investor and own 4 properties but have recently started reading up on small developments which I am looking to start in maybe a year or two when I feel like I’ve learned more about it.

I did have one query which I’ve summarised below – obviously when doing a new development there are two main costs – costs to purchase the land, and cost for construction.

As an example, lets assume that it will take 6 months to complete building 7 units on newly purchased land from start to finish, plus another 3 months to sign up tenants to occupy all of the units that have been built.
    Regarding cost for purchasing the land, lets say you borrow $200k from the bank. This is roughly $10k in interest payments annually.
    Regarding cost for construction, lets say you borrow $1 million from the bank. This is roughly $50k in interest payments annually.

Based on the bank interest payments above, over a period of 9 months, this equates to around $45k, or $5k per month payable in interest for the 9 months. This means you will only start offsetting interest payments with the rental income from the 10th month, so you will be out of pocket $45k in interest payments from the time you purchase the land to the time you get full occupancy in each of the completed units – do most development generally work this way? Just wanted to ensure I understood the big picture here and to plan forward that developers will be out of pocket for the duration of the building process and till units have been occupied.

Thanks,
    Ajay

Profile photo of joejoe
    Participant
    @joe99

Hi Ajay,
    There is other cost ‘Holding cost” and ‘subdivision cost’. As you mentioned you are building 7 units so I assume you are sub-dividing the block. Depending on the council it will take about 9 months to a couple of years to get the planning permit. One of mine development it took 3 years to get the permit and that is the longest holding time for me. Unless you are buying a property with approved permits. After building if you intend to sell the property then you need to sub divide the block and the council will charge you 5% of the value of the property for using the open space.
    Regards
    Joe

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Ajay, You should just treat finance costs as another project cost same as the actual construction, council fees etc. Thisis how lenders look at it also.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.