All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Info on apprentice annual leave pay

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of BrianBrian
    Participant
    @brian84

I have an apprentice who is being a ball breaker. I just paid him his 4 weeks holiday pay plus the 17.5% leave loading, now he is saying that I am supposed to pay him travel allowance in his holiday pay as well. I looked on the fair work website and also sent the link to him as well showing that I don’t pay the travel allowance because that’s what the website says. Well that wasn’t good enough for him so he rang up fair work and said that I have to pay it.

I didn’t take his word for it so I rang them myself and the guy on the phone said that I have to pay it.

Which should I go off, the website or the phone call.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

I had a problem earlier in the year from wrong info from fair work and I had to back pay approx $2500. I don’t want the same thing to happen from the useless people. They are supposed to be there to help employers on info they aren’t sure about.

Profile photo of shaunmb88shaunmb88
    Participant
    @shaunmb88

What kind of trade are you? I’m a contract carpenter and have been through a few apprentices, currently have two of them. I found fair work to be pretty useless at best. I became a member of HIA to do my builders cert and have found them to be extremely helpful when it comes to wages and what you are and what you don’t have to pay. It sounds like that apprentice is going to be a handful, I’d be moving him on.

Profile photo of BrianBrian
    Participant
    @brian84

Yea Shaun I am a contract carpenter as well. He gets signed off in August so I will just stick it out. He is a good worker but always has a whinge about something to do about money.

Participant
    @brian84

Have you completed your builders licence course now. I’m going to get mine through an rpl company. Costs $3500 but I won’t have to sit in a classroom for another 2 years 3 nights a week

Participant
    @shaunmb88

Yeah I finished it a year and a half ago but only got my supervisors licence at the moment, I’ve been meaning to do up the paperwork to get my builders licence. What state are you in? I’m in Queensland and HIA where doing the cert 4 for 1800 but now it’s even cheaper. 2-3 nights a week and every second Saturday for 8 months I think it was.

Participant
    @shaunmb88

Off the topic question here, do you do stick or prefab and what’s the m2 rate you get?

Participant
    @brian84

I’m in Sydney nsw. We just do pre fab. M2 rate is average $20m2 + gst. The builders licence in can get in anywhere from one day to one week depending how quick I provide the required documents.

Participant
    @brian84

What is the m2 for prefab in qld

Participant
    @shaunmb88

Not sure what it is for pre fab but I get 23 a m2 for stick, I’ve been hearing that most companies are paying 20 a m2 for pre fab which makes me want to jump ship and start doing pre fab work if I can find it.

Participant
    @brian84

For that price difference, why wouldn’t you. We put singles up in 1-2 days where as conventional would be double that. If there is alot of work for prefab up your way I would go for it.

Is there much prefab work up your way. We are flat out here in western Sydney. Heaps of new estates and thousands of houses to build. I just got offered 150 homes in one estate next door to each other. They offered us first pick of whatever we wanted. As soon as I get back to work I’m going to
    Put on more boys and start smashing them, take as many as we can do.

Participant
    @shaunmb88

Far out it sounds like there’s heaps of work down that way! We are the only project/volume housing company that is still stick frame all the rest are pre fab. I think I might take a few days off leave the boys at work and get my boots on the ground.

Participant
    @brian84

Yea there’s not many stick frames down here in Sydney unless they are high end homes. Once you do prefab you won’t go back to stick, it’s so much quicker and easier. I heard someone say there is 20,000 homes to be built in Sydney.

Participant
    @shaunmb88

Yeah we do a lot of high end stuff, just finished one that was 680m2. Over it though, so many extras and you don’t come out any better off if you banged out a couple of small ones. Send some of that Sydney work up this way hey? Haha

Participant
    @brian84

Haha you will have to come and work down here. That’s a decent size house. I just done a 560m2 single storey last year. That wasn’t too bad. Took us 6 days. Myself and 2 apprentices.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.