All Topics / Help Needed! / 8 Rules of Investing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Over the years I watched some really smart investors build their wealth by investing in property. The rules that they apply is key to their success and being able to spot mistakes is key in learning from them.

This is a set of rules have come to mean a lot when I’m working through my decision making process. I find that they also let me see what was at fault when my failures have happened.

Rule One: Always preserve your capital. Risk your return, but in the worst case you should always be in a position to recoup your initial investment.

Rule Two: A good Investment needs to outgrow inflation. “Use good research to locate high growth investments”.

Rule Three: Minimise investing into assets that go into negative growth during the market cycle. This applies to shares and some real estate too

Rule Four: Avoid having to trade and paying the associated costs.

Rule Five: Buy when others are selling, sell when others are buying and you will always come out on top.

Rule Six: Target growth areas for long-term capital growth in your property portfolio.

Rule Seven: “Time is your most important asset” Make long-term investments and disregard the bumps in the road along the way.

Rule Eight: Use leverage and don’t pay off principal during the growth phase.

This is just my simple list, please add your own.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of RichardRichard
    Participant
    @richardppiadvice-com-au

Agree with your list Mark, I’ve always prioritised holding what I create.

A couple of my rules:
    Work to a time frame: Property investment doesn’t have to be a life endeavor. If you actually have a plan for how you are going to build your portfolio, you can channel your effort and make it happen within a time frame that’s tangible.

Have an outcome in mind: if you know what you want from property; growth, income, both. Different property offers different outcomes, particularly if you are working to a time frame. I see a lot of investors expecting the market to deliver a result. This can lead to long wait. Better to be proactive, and have some control on time, than wait for market to do all the work!

Have the right ownership structure: when building a portfolio, having assets in your own name versus trusts, have pros & cons, the main message though is to think about the scenario in 10 years from now when you’re generating $100K passive from your portfolio. You wont want this all in your own name. Better to have some flexibility to distribute…

This list could go on, but that’s my two cents for now.

Richard | PPI Investment Advice
    http://ppiinvestmentadvice.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Licensed Property Financial Advisors providing tailored property advice and solutions!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.