All Topics / Help Needed! / IP – Apartments in Elizabeth Bay / Potts Point (Sydney) Area

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of investininvestin
    Participant
    @investin

Hi All

I came across this thread from 2010
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4398532-capital-growth-elizabeth-bay-potts-point-sydney/

Putting aside some of the silly comments in that I interested to hear other investors take on this area. Looking at purchasing a studio or 1 bedroom in Elizabeth Bay or Potts Point. Any info on yeilds, capital growth?

Cheers,

investin

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I have a VERY small 1 bedder in Potts Point. I bought it in 2008 when everybody was saying we werre crazy toi be buying property in this market.
    We were looking at studios and this one came up. As no1one was buying places were sitting for a while. This opne had reduced in price already but we didn’t know that until later so we offered a low price. We were laughed at. We 2 weeks later the agent rang to askl us if we wanted it for $2K more. Of course!! It was cheaoper than some of the studio’s we were considering.

It went up about 40% in 2 years. In the last 4 years it’s gone up another30% so we are very happy. It’s also cash flow positive.

When looking be careful of serviced apartments. The yield looks attractive but there are big ongoing costs plus there are so many of them that CG is lower. Also consider the restrictions placed on them.

Also be careful of very large complexes. Smaller boutique ones are better. Check the strata report VERY carefully. As the buildings are VERY old maintenance costs can be onerous.

Also be aware of those units on company title. I’m not saying don’t buy them but be aware of what it means.

I wish I had bought more at the time. Things have gone up quite a bit so I’d wait until the hype dies down before looking there again.

Profile photo of investininvestin
    Participant
    @investin

Thanks Catalyst

< wait until the hype dies down before looking there again >

What’s driving the hype?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.