All Topics / General Property / Property Managers (Melbourne) Qs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of IsabelIsabel
    Participant
    @isabel26

Hi,

We purchased an apartment in the Melbourne city fringe. It was hard to find a tenant as there was competition against all the other 1 bedroom apartment. The manager we had was pretty poor. We got her as a discount (you get what you pay for?) and always had to actively follow her up. I had arranged to view the property (I am from another city) flew all the way and couldn’t even get in to view my apartment! I couldn’t get hold of her as it was the weekend. She never provided us with feedback or suggestions about it being tenanted. Just as we were about to change property managers, we secured a tenant for a low rent.

I have since been in contact with someone who charges a bit more but has been really responsive and thorough with information (this is important as its our first property)

My question is do we stay with our current rental manager as we have secured a tenant (12 month lease)? or should we still change and pay a bit more?
    What would we be paying extra for? keeping this tenant is important to me

You thoughts?…

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Isabel,
    I think you may have already telegraphed the answer :-

someone who charges a bit more but has been really responsive and thorough with information (this is important as its our first property

It is great that you have secured a tenant, but why give the useless PM any more of your money? As an absentee landlord, I would certainly want someone “responsive and thorough” in my corner if things went wrong. e.g. what if the water heater blew up, and you (or your tenant) couldn’t contact the PM? Or, what if the tenant suddenly decided to break their lease?

Though we can hope that things won’t go wrong, a slightly higher cost for a good PM sounds like an insurance policy that is well worth having.

Benny

Profile photo of IsabelIsabel
    Participant
    @isabel26

Thanks Benny

It’s great when you lay it out as simply as that and I guess I did telegraph the answer!

Isabel :)

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I’d try Sam at Qura – http://qura.com.au/

She’s active on the SS forum – provides insightful posts and has a good rep.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of IsabelIsabel
    Participant
    @isabel26

Good news guys!

We are changing to the property manager that was so helpful and responsive and negotiated a fee closer to our current managers fee

If you don’t ask you don’t get!

Win!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.