All Topics / Help Needed! / Building Graphs for each state of Australia like Steve's Market update

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • chris schumann
    Participant
    @chris-schumann

In Steve McKnights most recent market update he showed graphs for each capital city that he built using stats gathered from http://www.abs.gov.au.
    I want to know how he did this? I’ve been on the abs.gov site and have found some information but most of it only dates back a couple of years. Also there is a table builder on this abs.gov site maybe he used this im not sure?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps.

Chris

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew
    chris schumann
    Participant
    @chris-schumann

Hi Andrew,

Firstly thanks for the quick reply…

That part of the site is somewhat useful however it only at best shows the last 5 years.

What i am really chasing is how to build graphs (the Steve McKnight way). He’s obviously sourced data that outlines population growth in each state at least twice a year. I’m thinking he must have used some of the paid software that you can utilise on ABS.gov.au. I think i’d need some history and lessons in co-relating data because the software seems somewhat complicated, so maybe i’ll continue to just knock of the top of the graphs that he’s already made (like Steve suggested).

It’d just be nice to know how he’s done such an epic job getting all the data though. Seems like an extremely useful tool.

Regards,

Chris

chris schumann
    Participant
    @chris-schumann

Ok, I’ve figured it out and Andrew I think you were right it just took a little more effort on my part to see through the information and clearly identify what I was looking for.

So this is how I do it…

Go to http://www.abs.gov.au

type in the search bar: 6202

Download the excel spreadsheet: table. labour force status by sex vic

Once I’ve downloaded that i look through it until i find the statistics I’m looking for. In this case I’m looking for unemployment from 1980-2014 for all persons not just male or female.

I copy that data chuck it into my own spreadsheet click on the type of graph i want and then i instantly have my desired graph.
    So simple!

Thanks for your help

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Chris,
    THank you for providing that ‘blow by blow” solution to your posted question. JUst tried it for myself, and yep, works beautifully. Well done,

Benny

chris schumann
    Participant
    @chris-schumann

Awesome Benny,

So pleased it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.