All Topics / Help Needed! / Help With Direction

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of TyTy
    Participant
    @tyzer

Hey Property Investing Community

This is my first post, a quick few details about myself.

I’m 20 years old, live in SA, little old Adelaide. Getting married in November. Brought my first home in November last year, and am currently living in it. I only discovered the concept of investing in property about 1 1/2 months ago, my interest began after reading “My Four Year Old The Property Investor”, by Cam McLellan. I’m on a low income, 45k a year, but it’s set to go up a bit when I finish my apprenticeship this year to around 60k.

My question to you experienced investors is, Where to begin? I’m young, ready to learn, and diligent.

I do have a goal as such, “To semi retire/retire, at 35-40”. I want to free up time to spend with kids (when/if they come), free up time for church, free up time for my own hobbies (guitar/restoring old cars and furniture), be able to help my family finically if they ever need.

Basically I’m after a point in the right direction, whether that be a book, a website or personal experiences, or a professional.

Things I’ve learnt so far are, need to have a goal set, need to be ready to make sacrifices now for better outcomes in the future.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Ty

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Ty,
    Welcome aboard !! It is great to see a young’un getting into this kind of thinking – and very smart to seek out “those who have done it”. It took me FAR more years than that before I received a “whack on the side of the head” thanks to Robert Kiyosaki and his “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”. I totally recommend that book to all young investors (especially ruminate on Chapter 2 – it is one of the “key tenets” I reckon).

After that, spend time and a bit of money buying a few books, just to get into the fundamentals of property investing – Steve’s and Jan Somers’ books have a lot of “how to” information in them, along with a very good general knowledge of all sides of investing – financing, property, tenants, taxes, etc.

And be a sponge on here too – just by reading a host of the different questions and answers, you will quickly get to learn which things tend to be “problem areas” as well as those things that just “work”.

Do check out the following link for a few “getting started” hints (answers to questions you may not even know you have yet):-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/general-property/4349450

And go along to some of the seminars (the free, or well-priced ones – no need to spend a fortune right up-front). Meet up with investors who are planning meet-ups in your area, just to have a coffee and a chat. Spend a few months doing an “apprenticeship” before striking out and buying. It is important that your first buy is a GOOD one, so that you don’t burn a lot of your deposit money. Don’t be rushed the first time in – share a heap of information on here and we will rush to support you, or to warn of any possible issues.

Great start !!

Benny

Profile photo of TyTy
    Participant
    @tyzer

Hey thanks for your replies!

I’ve brought that book by Robert Kiyosaki, waiting for it too arrive in the post, thanks for the advice.

In the mean time last night I went and visited an experienced investor/friend, also a member of this forum (she showed me this forum). She gave me Steve McKnights book “0 to 135 properties in 3.5 years”, which is what started her off. Also she gave me about 30 API magazines. So heaps to read and get excited about while I wait for “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” which she also recommended.

Corey- I’m interested in this meet up, where and what time? I’ll probably feel overwhelmed with you knowledgable investors, but you have to start somewhere!

Regards

Ty

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Hi Ty,

Details for the meeting:

Thursday 25th August, 6.30pm
    Seven Stars Hotel, Angas Street

No need to feel overwhelmed, as we generally have a good range of people from complete newbies, to very experienced players, young and old. :)

Besides reading up on the books which help with forming a strong investor mentality, have a think about what you are trying to achieve with investing. Are you looking to make a passive income, or generate a large asset base which you can sell later. Are you looking to develop, renovate, buy and hold. It is extremely important to try establish a strategy early on, that way you can set a goal and work towards it step by step. You’ll no doubt find your strategy can and will change 10 times over the course of your journey, but that just means you’re refining and perfecting it – so long as you’re always moving forward not backward!

Let me know if you’re interesting in coming along, and I’ll let them know to put a +1 in the reservation.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of TyTy
    Participant
    @tyzer

I’d like to attend. Count me in, it would be nice to meet some people that are on here as well.

I’ve been thinking about the strategy, haven’t settled on one yet, hopefully more knowledge will help me decide.

Thanks for your feed back.

Looking forward to the meet up.

Regards

Ty

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Added you to the list. :)

I find the easiest way clients establish their strategy is to find their goal and work their way back. If you know where you are currently (start of the journey) and the goal (end of the journey), it’s a more manageable case of working out the easiest way of going from Point A to Point B. It’ll all come to you as time goes on and you grow your knowledge.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Ty

Welcome aboard :-)

I always recommend getting clued up before jumping into investing. Spend lots of time reading and educating yourself – property investment forums like this one are an excellent resource for free, up to date information.

There are heaps of books too – Steve McKnight, Jan Somers, Margaret Lomas, the list goes on.

When you’re ready to take the plunge, surround yourself with a network of professions that are excellent in their fields – for instance, a good finance person and accountant are a must.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.