All Topics / Help Needed! / Converting PPOR to IP – Maintenance Costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of colagirlcolagirl
    Participant
    @colagirl

Hello Everyone,

I’m thinking about converting my PPOR to IP and want to calculate the expenses. Does anyone know how I can estimate the maintenance costs per year for a small 2 bedroom house that is 20 years old? Please keep in mind that I live in Darwin and things tend to be pricey up North.

Expenses I’ve included are: landlord insurance, real estate management fees and rates – anything else I should budget for?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

It’s a really tough one to answer – personally, I assign a $1k budget for maintenance to each IP but this can blow out quickly if there’s a major expense (hot water system for instance) and some years you might not spend a dollar.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Colagirl,
    The major four are – Rates, Insurance, RE fees, and Maintenance – and, if a unit, add in Body Corp!!

Sounds like you have thought through most of them – re Maintenance, do you need to consider lawns, gardening, or is the tenant taking care of those?

Benny

Profile photo of colagirlcolagirl
    Participant
    @colagirl

Hi Benny,
    I thought I would keep the costs down and let the tennant take care of the garden – having said that, the garden is quite big and property managers tell me that tennants just don’t look after gardens that well. So I thought I would give it six months with the tennants then review the situation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.