All Topics / Help Needed! / Bills leftover after Settlement!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of u36mau36ma
    Participant
    @u36ma

Hi all, hoping for some help!

I used a cheap conveyancer to buy a house in QLD and am now regretting it.

Prior to settlement I saw on a rates bill that the vendor provided that they had $2000 of unpaid overdue council rates.
    Unfortunately it doesn’t look like my conveyancer ordered a Council Search prior to settlement which I did not pick up on.

Now a month after settlement I have received a bill from the Council telling me I am now due to pay them the $2000 plus interest (11%p.a. calculated daily. At this stage the conveyancer is not returning my calls.

A friend told me that I have no recourse to the vendor now, particularly if no search was done. I thought that the council wouldn’t sell a property unless past debts had been settled.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Were you given a form 1 by the real estate agent?

This should of contained a copy of relevent council searches.

If not then you might not be in contract. Even though you have already settled.

Profile photo of u36mau36ma
    Participant
    @u36ma

all good thanks Wilko… my stupid conveyancer had lost the cheque among paperwork and only found it 2 months after settlement. They have since posted it to the council. Phew! Will never use them again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.