All Topics / Help Needed! / Developing Blocks of Units

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

Hi everyone,

I am reasonably new to the property investment game. I’m very interested in developing a block of units and have a few questions that you may be able to help me with please. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Whats the difference between a normal home loan and a commercial loan?
    2. At how many units before a commercial loan come into play with the banks?
    3. And finally any other traps that could be out there for a first time property developer?

Cheers

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

There are many many other traps that are out there for a first time property developer.

Read a few property investment and development books that are out there if you haven’t done so already.

It is also very important to start small if you don’t have any experience in property development. 2 – 3 townhouses would be a good start.

All the best

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Allister

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Both Jacqui (JacM) who is my partner and I did an interview with API magazine a year or so back on a couple of Unit blocks we were developing. I have personally done over 30 separate unit block projects in Brisbane over the last 15 years.

In answer to questions:

1) In some cases there is no difference between the 2 loans. Admitedly for a Commercial loan you tend to get charged the valuation fee and incur the lenders legal’s but depending on the deal the rates can be similar.

2) There is no magic number but in the main 3 and above (off exception with 1 lender going to 6 and 1 going to 10 units) will be considered Commercial.

3) Start small, have a fall back position and make sure you factor in a contingency factor. It doesn’t matter how many deals you have done before you still need to be prepared for the unexpected.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hi everyone,

I am reasonably new to the property investment game. I’m very interested in developing a block of units and have a few questions that you may be able to help me with please. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Whats the difference between a normal home loan and a commercial loan?
    2. At how many units before a commercial loan come into play with the banks?
    3. And finally any other traps that could be out there for a first time property developer?

Cheers

Hi there, the first two points are covered by the others.

Re number 3, don’t bite more than you can handle.

Capital is key ($$$$). You will need capital to build as ensure you use a registered builder unless you are one.

Liquidity will be impacted by your sale potential – important to do a realistic budget to ensure CF is adequate.

There are a heap of traps, but i’ll start with town planning. Don’t buy your site before you understand the area and more importantly the council. Some are stricter than others, so understand the restrictions well to ensure you can build what you plan to build…..consult a independent town planner.

Design – super important – get a reputable architect who will do the drawing and design.

Builder – shop around and ensure they have a track record of success – shonky builders are a killer.

Over the last 15 years, we have done a heap of developments in the Melbourne SE – and never lost. Reason is experience and of course low builder margin as we are the builders so everything is wholesale (materials) and quality is there with tradies that have been working with us for over 15 years. These are the ingredients for long term success in the small development game.

All the best.

Cheers, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

Guys thanks heaps for the advice

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Be sure that you have a solid income stream that will be able to “service” the construction loan. There is little point in acquiring a property with a view to developing it if you have no way of getting a loan to make your plans come to fruition.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

Thanks superAndrew

Do you recommend any good property development books to look at? or any other sources of information that would help?

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

There area lot of books and courses you can do. I would read at least 3 different books. Then Google and forums will be your best friend to answer your questions and learn more. You don’t have to spend 100s of $$.

Here is a good book:
    http://www.booktopia.com.au/profit-from-property-philip-thomas/prod9781742469461.html

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37
    Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

My partner Dave Ward & I have done a few unit blocks over the last 20 years. The largest development was a block of 74, 70 apartments and 4 shops. The apartments set a suburb square metre price record at the time (3 years ago). My best advice is to keep your LVR low, by low I mean: total debt below 50% at all times, 30% is better, IMHO.

Others may see it differently of course, but this LVR is based on how I see the risks of developing unit blocks. There is a lot to say on this subject, but the above in my best starting advice.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Which bank/institute goes to 6 and 10 respectively Richard, before turning commercial?

I’d say as a beginner whilst LVRs down that low 30-50 % would be great, realistically would be unachievable for a beginner. More likely you would find yourself in the 65-80 percent range and only 80 percent if you were building residential under 4 dwellings or so.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Just arranged finance for a forum member on a 8 pack at 80% lvr at resi rates and he had never purchased at investment property before.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

So do you think borrowing at 90% is a risky venture? Or is it still within the boundaries if i am willing to sacrifice the MLI off my profit margin?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.