All Topics / Finance / PPOR to IP: Intrst 100% tax deduc/offset by principal payments in previous loan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of appg2appg2
    Participant
    @appg2

Hi All,
    I think similar questions have been answered several times in this forum before but I feel my situation is a little different which makes me confused if I have understood the concept correctly. So posting another PPOR to investment question :-)

I bought my unit (400K) in Jun 2012 to live in and turn it to a investment property later when we plan to move to a house in a few years.
    Didnt research much and took Loan from one of the major banks with not the best rate.
    The loan was P&I with 100% offset account.
    Refinanced my loan to a non bank lender within 3 months (Aug 2012) to secure a good rate. But this loan did not have a separate offset (which I didnt realize until the settlement was almost complete. Felt misled by promotion and I also blame my ignorance).
    Both me and wife salary was going into the account we did not have separate bank accounts. By Jun 2013, we had saved about 70k into the loan
    Only then I learnt that is not a good idea to pay off loan if there is intention to change PPOR to investment. So I refinanced again with good rates and made sure it is 100% offset with a interest only option.

Now we are going to move somewhere else and make the unit into investment. Will the interest tax deductible on the full loan amount or should I offset my loan by 70K that was paid off in previous loan before calculating interest for tax deduction.
    I think the answer is I will have to offset by 70K before calculating the interest but I am hoping someone will say that I am wrong.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of appg2 appg2.
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Will the interest tax deductible on the full loan amount or should I offset my loan by 70K that was paid off in previous loan before calculating interest for tax deduction.

You would have created a mess if you have ever redrawn from the loan. If you have never made a withdrawal then the lowest balance would be the deductible portion of the loan.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Terry is correct.

If say you had a $370K loan at the start and paid off $70K to make the balance $300K, the tax deductible amount would be the interest on the $300K when it turned into an IP. However this is only if you didn’t redraw any funds from the loan during the term. If you did, then as Terry alluded to, it is a bit of a mess and your accountant would have to figure what ratio is and isn’t deductible.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of appg2appg2
    Participant
    @appg2

Thanks Terry, Tom
    There may have been some withdrawals. I have to go back and find the statements :-(
    I have to find an Accountant who can help this.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Appg happy to refer someone to you if you are happy to go to the Coast.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Sounds like quite the mess – this is why IO with an offset is usually ideal.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.