All Topics / Help Needed! / What will give me the best return?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ThenewmeThenewme
    Participant
    @thenewme

Hi All
    My husband and I live in Sydney and we live in an area where 350sqm blocks is the norm.
    We have a larger block that is 777sqm and although it is not big enough to subdivide, it is zoned for dual occupancy. In other words we can build a duplex on it under one title.
    I want to know if it is better for us to knock down our existing home, build the duplex and live in one, rent the other? OR Is it more tax effective for us to rent another house and rent out the two residences in the duplex?
    After completion, we will have spent around $1m. This includes the balance of our existing mortgage carried over. We should be able to get a minimum of $750-$800 per week for each duplex so around $1500-$1600 income per week. It would also cost us about $800-$900 per week to rent somewhere ourselves in the area.
    If anyone has any relevant information they can share I would be grateful.
    Cheers
    Tara

Profile photo of MarianaMariana
    Participant
    @marivicverceles

Hi Tara,

My name is Mariana. Why not buy a property you can call your own? I recently bought a property with the help of a mentor.

My entire process of buying , from start to finish, was done with just my Mentor/Realtor. I never thought I’d have to make such an important decision on my own, so I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to have found someone so great to work with. I also think for first-time home buyers, having an amazing Realtor is absolutely key in the buying process. He went above and beyond, and I really credit him with making sure I was comfortable every step of the way. I felt like he understood where I was coming from, and he made what could have been an overwhelming process, into something fun and exciting. I trusted his opinions and negotiation tactics, but most importantly, I never felt pressured.

When it was all said and done – I feel like we got the best price possible we could have gotten for the townhouse. And, the biggest bonus to this entire transaction is that I will be able to move in before the end of the month. Which makes everything just about a million times easier for me logistically, and will save me a lot of time and money.

Should you be interested, I am happy give you you my mentor’s contact details.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Mariana
    Email Me

Desire to deliver value to people, fine tune my craft and investing year after year.

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

Hi Tara

It is “generally” always better to rent and to invest.

Assuming you can rent for $900 pw and can rent out for $800 pw.

If you rent, your overall cost will be $900 – $800 = $100. If you live in your property your overall cost will be $800 pw. So just based on this it would be better to rent.

However you should also consider CGT. If you live in the property and nominate it as your PPOR then it will be CGT exempt.

Cheers

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Renting whilst investing can in many cases be more cost effective, though there are a few markets where it is still more affordable to buy than rent of course.

There is the personal/emotional factor of course, whether you like owning the four walls around you, or are happy to rent whilst investing the difference.

Renting the duplex in it’s entirety would of course provide significant depreciation benefits early on too.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

It’s not always about the numbers – as Corey said, there’s a personal/emotional factor at play too. Personally, I couldn’t imagine not owning my house – I like being in control.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

I would probably rent out both, not just for the reasons above but because:

– It’s an arms length transaction. I don’t really want to be living next door to my tenants. This might work well though if you want to self manage, however, I like to let the property manager handle this.
    – If you knock down and build you’ll need to move anyway, and probably rent a place. So you’d only move once…
    – The quality, size, build of the house that I want to live in, is not the same type of house I would build for a rental.
    – Depreciation would be pretty good, so if you have a high’ish salary you’d receive those benefits upfront, which is probably a good idea if you plan on holding on to the property for a while.

Profile photo of ThenewmeThenewme
    Participant
    @thenewme

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think renting is obviously the better option.

Cheers
    Tara

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Very interesting post as I would never have considered renting out my PPOR and renting somewhere cheaper but It does make some sense. For example my wife is keen to move back closer to her family which would be about $150 less to rent than what I could get for my place so that extra money could then pay off the mortgage plus then get the tax benefits.
    Is this what people are referring to or am I a bit off the mark? Are there other considerations?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.