All Topics / Value Adding / Renovations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Property plusProperty plus
    Participant
    @lukecrawford

Hey everyone,

Quick question, I am looking to do a renovation on a 2 bed unit that I bought 12 months ago. I would like the kitchen and bathroom to be updated, however the property is 8 hours drive away.

How do you guys organise a renovation when you can’t be there at the time?

Cheers.

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hey everyone,

Quick question, I am looking to do a renovation on a 2 bed unit that I bought 12 months ago. I would like the kitchen and bathroom to be updated, however the property is 8 hours drive away.

How do you guys organise a renovation when you can’t be there at the time?

Cheers.

Hi there, we do all reno’s ourselves, but if that was me – I would go up there for a weekend and organise 3 builder quotes (small builder in the area). Alternatively, get 3 kitchen blokes and plumbers to give you a quote. Assume you will have no planning issues as its internal.

Cheers, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Luke

Some property managers will coordinate the work. Do you have a good one with reliable/good contacts?

Usually they are paid a percentage of the costs for their effort.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Property plusProperty plus
    Participant
    @lukecrawford

Thanks Jamie I didn’t know they did that. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Would you know a ball park percentage of what they charge? Just so I know if the one they give me is reasonable?

Thanks

Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

Are you able to take a week off to be there – do some of the basic work yourself to save some money.

Otherwise, like Jamie suggested – see if your PM can do it or just manage it yourself from afar and get the PM to inspect the work done to ensure it’s up to scratch before paying the final bill.

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Would you know a ball park percentage of what they charge? Just so I know if the one they give me is reasonable?

Thanks

Hey Luke

No probs.

I’m not sure how much they’d charge – though I do recall a thread on this forum recently where someone mentioned it. You might be able to find it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Greg23Greg23
    Participant
    @greg23

Don’t forget to be as detailed as possible. The more detailed you are the less chance there will be of the trades involved having questions, which = either delays, guesses or assumptions.
    It’s much better to put the time into writing accurate scopes of works and sketching detailed plans (including things like towel rail/toilet roll holder heights/locations) than picking up on things after completion. One person may have different “common sense” location/height etc, compared to the next persons “common sense”.

You can minimise any delays by making sure you’re available for phone calls at all times, just incase any questions arise whilst the work is being performed.

Profile photo of TerryTerry
    Participant
    @talsar

hi there
    I take it as a given that you have a great property manager and that you trust them. RIGHT?
    a great property manager will have trades that work for them on a contestant basis, get them to do the work for you
    why would you want to take a week of work, loss of income, meals, accommodation, +++++
    at the beginning, during and at the end of the project demand photos lots of photos
    have faith in the people you employ but check up regularly videos are great as well
    good luck

Terry | TRC Property Services
    Email Me | Phone Me

Remember: nothing stays the same and you can't make change with out changing

Profile photo of ausbankerausbanker
    Participant
    @ausbanker

BRIGHT HOMES in Victoria. Does anyone have any experience using Bright Homes as a townhouse builder? I am currently looking to hire a builder to build 5 townhouses stuck together. Any perspectives or recommendations to other builders most welcome.

Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.