All Topics / Value Adding / Attached Granny Flat Advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of TheDeanTheDean
    Participant
    @thedean

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a property in Sydney which is a split level home (the split runs almost half way across the width, for almost the full length of the house). The lower split has a concrete slab with approximately 3.8m high ceiling as ceiling is at the same level of upper split.

There upper split has brick piers and wooden floor boards. The wall that separates the two levels is brick from the lower-split concrete floor to the upper split timber floor and then timber stud with plaster board to the ceiling.

Would it be possible and feasible to create this lower split into a approximately 45sq.m granny flat? As there already separate entry and bathroom.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Dean

• This topic was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of TheDean TheDean.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of TheDean TheDean.
    Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I”m a bit confused by your description.

Yes of course you can do it subject to council approval but to do it legally would be very expensive because of the large joining area.
    I’m talking NSW (not sure about other states) but you need to put a fire rated wall between the 2 dwellings. On concrete you go from the concrete floor up to the roof (through the gyprock). With flooboards you need to go from the ground (dig into th dirt).

Profile photo of TheDeanTheDean
    Participant
    @thedean

Thanks for your reply Catalyst. I hope this section picture helps, the section is cutting through the width of the house. If I had fire rated wall, say concrete block work, would I still need to dig the floorboards and go from the ground?

I thought the fire rating the roof was going to be the biggest problem.

Section

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of TheDean TheDean.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of TheDean TheDean.
    Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I’m pretty sure you would have to go to the dirt as a fire could take place on the left and get in under the right hand side.

The getting to the roof is the biggest pain. Some say it’s actually easier to split the house then put a brick wall between.

Put this into google site:somersoft.com “granny flat fire wall” There are quite a few photos by a guy named “Handy Andy” which shows a house he split.

Pm me if you need help. I have articles etc that I saved. I can get back to you after a week.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.