All Topics / Help Needed! / Leveraging Investment property to purchase first home

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of ChrisChris
    Participant
    @cgodsil

Hi,
    I am looking at purchasing an investment property to save for our first home.
    I am getting confused with regard to the appropriate strategy to adopt given my circumstances.
    I am engaged, with no debt and presently renting. I earn $120k and my fiancé earns $80k
    I have been looking into cash flow positive properties under a interest only loan however it poses two issues; there is little captial appreciation in properties with high rental yields and after several years i am likely to have little increase in equity to purchase our first home.
    Do i need to be looking at properties with expected high capital growth or is the positive cash flow property the right strategy and i am missing something.
    Any advice that will help me save for my first home would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Chris

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Chris,
    … and welcome !! There are a wealth of useful threads that would (collectively) steer you down the right path. One thread I recall that asked particularly re IO loans and “how they work” that could give you some fresh thoughts. And, with the kind of $$ you and your fiance are bringing in, this can be good news. Here’s the thread:-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410595-im-a-bit-confused/

Keep in mind too that there can be ways to generate Equity. Things like renovating, changing the “function” of a property, developing, subdividing, etc. Also, keep an eye out for Investor Meetings (regularly advertised on here) and go meet some others who are already into property. You will learn heaps from the presenters, and also from networking with like-minded people.

Enjoy your time here, and do come back with any more questions. Hint – the only silly question is the one you don’t ask !!

Benny

PS Also have a read of this one :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410491-the-big-picture-for-new-readers-especially/

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Benny Benny.
    Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Do i need to be looking at properties with expected high capital growth or is the positive cash flow property the right strategy and i am missing something.

Hi Chris

Welcome aboard.

It’s each to their own. Personally, I prefer to purchase properties in high growth areas, renovate and hold. These properties are usually neutral or negatively geared slightly.

A property that doesn’t go up in value over time isn’t going to assist in reaching your goal of purchasing another.

The extra few dollar from a cashflow positive property probably isn’t going to make a world of difference either given your relatively high incomes.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of ChrisChris
    Participant
    @cgodsil

Thank you greatly Benny and Jamie for the quick and detailed responses.

Benny, I read the posts you recommended and now feel I have a better understanding of the benefits of I/O loans and offset accounts. Thanks!

Jamie, you have reinforced my concern that the few extra dollars I may earn from a positive cashflow IP using an I/O loan isn’t going to provide much assistance in putting down a deposit for a PPOR or further IPs down the track.

To provide some further background, after reading the posts provided by Benny and my previous understanding I appreciate the benefits of taking out an I/O loan rather than paying down principle on a P&I loan. I am however ‘stuck’ on how I can use an IP to help fund a deposit on a PPOR if I am not paying down the principle component.

Thus, my next question if you have time to answer is; If I can generate equity in the IP through renovation or other means, what methods are available to access that equity down the track to use as a deposit for a PPOR.

Furthermore, is that a sensible strategy if I wish to purchase further IPs before or after purchasing a PPOR?

Thanks again for any advice or experiences you can offer.

Cheers,
    Chris

Participant
    @jamie-m

Thus, my next question if you have time to answer is; If I can generate equity in the IP through renovation or other means, what methods are available to access that equity down the track to use as a deposit for a PPOR.

Hey Chris

If the IP increases in value – either via growth, improvements or a combination of both, you can access this equity by setting up a second loan split alongside the current IP loan. That second loan will fund the deposit/costs on your IP.

So if we take a simple example for illustrative purposes, let’s say you’ve bought an IP for $100k and took out an $80k loan (so loan to value ratio of 80%)

You then renovate and it goes up in value to $125k.

The bank will let you borrow up to 80% of the properties value – so you decide to take that $80k loan up to $100k (which is 80% of the properties value now – and it’s $20k more in borrowings). You borrow that $20k as a second loan (so you now have two loans against the IP – the first is the original $80k loan and the second is the new $20k equity release).

You then decide to use that $20k to cover the deposit/costs on your new PPOR – which is worth (for illustrative purposes) $80k. You then set up a third loan to cover the remaining balance for the new PPOR.

So all in all, you now have two properties and three loans.

Investment property (worth $120k)
    Loan 1: $80k loan
    Loan 2: $20k equity release (covers 20% deposit and costs on new PPOR)

New PPOR (worth $80k)
    Loan 3: $64k (80% of the $80k purchase price – with remaining 20% deposit and costs coming from loan 2 above).

This is a very simplistic explanation and your PPOR will probably cost more than your IP – but hopefully this provides you with a bit of an idea.

It’s important to structure the loans like this because a) you can easily distinguish deductible debt (loan 1) from non deductible debt (loans 2 and 3) and b) you’re avoiding cross collaterising the two properties (I won’t get into that in great detail now because this post will never end!)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @cgodsil

Thanks Jamie. That really clears things up for me.

Cheers,
    Chris

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Chris

Is there a reason why you want to buy an IP first prior to buying your own home.

Depending in which State you are you in and where you purchase the IP you might end up shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to Stamp duty concessions etc

There are a couple of ways of buying an IP without actually putting down any deposit and borrowing 100% of the purchase price without using other equity. We have done this on a number of occasions for many other forum members in the same boat as yourself.

Course has to be the right property but can certainly be done.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

One thing to point out. It wouldn’t be advisable to use an IO loan for positive cash flow property. A better strategy would be to use the rent to pay down the principle as soon as possible. This will not only increase your equity in your property but will lower your interest expense and hence increase your cash flow.

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Participant
    @cgodsil

Richard, I am wanting to get ahead rather than tie up a large some of debt and mortgage repayments in a PPOR. I am open to alternatives.

Thanks Andrew. That was the original plan. I got a bit confused with a few people mentioning other alternatives.

Chris

Participant
    @superandrew

Personally I would focus on positive cash flow properties (or neutrally geared) that have potential for capital gain in the future. Any surplus income should be used to pay off the loan to increase your equity. At the end of the day your goal is to pay off all your loans and generate income from the property.

Negative gearing for example relies on a lot of assumptions. The main one being that the property will increase in value. What if it doesn’t increase to the amount you expected it to? It does have its place when used wisely.

Andrew

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

One thing to point out. It wouldn’t be advisable to use an IO loan for positive cash flow property. A better strategy would be to use the rent to pay down the principle as soon as possible. This will not only increase your equity in your property but will lower your interest expense and hence increase your cash flow.

Andrew

I completely disagree. :)

This leaves little flexibility and causes potential tax issues moving forward. A more appropriate strategy would be to have an Interest Only mortgage with full transactional offset. The same reduction in interest applies, however you can access that increase in funds for both investment and personal usage. By paying P&I, if you were to use the funds for a non investing purchase the loan will be ‘polluted’ and accountant will need to apportion the deductible and non deductible portion, minimising tax deduction and increasing accounting costs.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Participant
    @superandrew

I would think that most borrowers would use Offset accounts over traditional P+I where your funds are locked in (unless you take out a new loan).

The main idea behind my post is to lower your interest payments and to differentiate between IO for negative gearing (where the aim is to not lower your interest payments) and P+I or IO + Offset account (where the aim is to lower your interest payments and increase your equity in the property).

I don’t see how you can “completely” disagree with it. :)

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Very interesting post and a lot of food for thought.
    One thing I am curious about is how the equity loan works? Is it any different to a standard home loan? As in does it have the same interest rates, can it be paid over the same long period.etc?

For example my home loan is 350k and my home is valued at 450k meaning i have 80k equity available.
    If i wanted to draw this equity for an IP how would that look? Would i be paying:
    350k loan on my PPOR at say 5.5% over 30 years costing me $458 a week.
    80k loan of equity at the same meaning I now need to pay $458 plus the additional $104 equity loan per week? Meaning my payments have now gone up to $562?

Of course there would also be the IP loan but that I understand. I am just having trouble getting a grasp on the equity loan.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hey Ben

You’ve got $100k in actual equity but only $10k in accessible equity (if you take your borrowings up to 80% of the properties value) or $55k if you take your borrowings up to 90% of the properties value and pay some LMI.

The equity loan is set up as a second loan – once you drawn down on it, you’ll start making repayments on it. Usually we just set up variable interest only loans for these.

You would have two lots of repayments – like you’ve outlined.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I am still unclear why you want to pay down the principal on an investment property when you are using it to buy your first home.

When you buy your first home you are going to need every dollar you can lay your hands on as none of the costs or expenses will be Tax Deductible.

Remember interest on a redraw will not be Tax Deductible and in fact could contaminate the deductibility on the whole loan.

I am an advocate of paying down the principal on an investment loan however suggest this strategy is not adopted when you have or are likely to have in the near future a non deductible home loan.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hey Jamie Im still having trouble getting my head around how it works. If I have 100k of actual equity, why can I only access 10k? Could you maybe give me an example of how the figures work?

If my home is valued at 450k and my loan is 350k If I want to buy an IP of say 300k then I would require 60k for a deposit of 20%. I thought in that situation I would be able to access that 60k of equity for the 20% deposit?

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Allot of people will have different views.

If it’s your first time getting into the market, education is the key. Setting up your ppor is so important from the get go.

This game is a marathon and not a sprint.

I am a believer in two things l) ensure your ppor is loan is management before you even look at buying a investment.

2) even my investment property hardly has any debt I think my lvr is 40%

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hey Jamie Im still having trouble getting my head around how it works. If I have 100k of actual equity, why can I only access 10k? Could you maybe give me an example of how the figures work?

If my home is valued at 450k and my loan is 350k If I want to buy an IP of say 300k then I would require 60k for a deposit of 20%. I thought in that situation I would be able to access that 60k of equity for the 20% deposit?

Hey Ben

No probs – here’s a rundown on the calculations.

Let’s assume you’re accessing equity up to 80% of your properties value.

We take 80% of the $450k value which equals $360k. We then subtract your current borrowings from that ($360k – $350k = $10k). So if you take your borrowings up to 80% you’ll be accessing a $10k equity release.

Similarly – if we access equity up to 90% of your properties value. We take 90% of the $450k value which equals $405k. We then subtract your current borrowings from that ($405k – $350k = $65k). So if you take your borrowings up to 90% you’ll be accessing a $65k equity release.

With the 90% option – not all lenders are keen on allowing equity releases at this level. If you haven’t paid LMI previously, you’ll be slugged with a large LMI premium. If you have paid it previously, it will be a small (relatively speaking) adjustment to your current LMI premium.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Super Andrew, I disagree too regarding the PI loan on positive properties.

If anyone has non deductible debt they are basically throwing away money if they are paying PI on an investment. This is because the extra money paid is decreasing tax deductions and that money (and the tax saved) could have been used to pay down the PPOR loan sooner.Compounding this would be very costly.

Other reasons too – cashflow, save achieved with an offset, ability to buy more properties quciker etc

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hey Jamie,
    Firstly i just want to say a big thank you for all your assistance on these forums, your continued advice and guidance is always extremely appreciated.

I think a valuable lesson I am learning is to wait until the morning to try and understand something because at night after a days work my brain basically does not function! haha.
    First thing I did when i came in this morning was read over your original post (you had not yet responded) and it made perfect sense why I would be only available to access 10k equity.

What sort of things do lenders base being able to access 90% equity on. Does your/your partners income play a part in this? The example i have been using is where i will likely be in about 1 years time. Currently i am in the process of developing at the rear of my property with my brother and i anticipate once everything is done, that is the position i will be in and I was then planning on using the equity to fund my first IP.
    Until yesterday i thought I could access it all so this changes things dramatically.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.