All Topics / Help Needed! / Structural crack or cosmetic crack?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of BumbalinaBumbalina
    Participant
    @bumbalina

Cracks appearing just above the built-in robe. It’s not a straight line crack – more a semi circle crack starting in one corner of the ceiling above the BIR and then forms a semicircle of approx. 30-40cm diameter ending at the edge of the BIR.

there are 2 BIRs and both are showing the same thing. No other cracks throughout the house.

Just want some opinions on whether this is something that will become more sinister in the future?

As it doesn’t go through the whole room, I don’t think it’s a structural crack, but I am unsure.

Any opinions?

Profile photo of demkeldemkel
    Participant
    @demkel

Hello Bumbalina

How long have you noticed this crack?
    Is there any staining or change in coour?
    Are the cracks near the external walls?
    Are the cracks in the bedrooms? What is BIR?
    Is the cracking in the plasterboard ceiling?
    Is your house single level or multi level?

Your answers will assist in identifying the nature of the cracks.

Regards
    Demkel

Profile photo of BumbalinaBumbalina
    Participant
    @bumbalina

The cracks appeared around Dec 2013 (6months ago). House was built approx. 2005 (hence I didn’t think it would be structural crack as these would appear a bit earlier and would have been more pronounced. Over the last 6 months, the crack hasn’t gotten any worse – it has pretty much stayed the same.

No staining or change in colour.

The cracks are on the ceiling above the BIR (built-in robe) of the bedrooms and not on the walls, so external walls are not affected. In one bedroom, the crack is in a semi-circle but is quite deep and pronounced. In another bedroom, the crack is not as deep but is starting to crack on a straight line across the ceiling (not diagonal line) – it could possibly be where the plasterboard on the ceilings were joint?

House is single level.

Participant
    @demkel

Cracking could be on the joint line as youmentioned. Did you have any insulation installed or removed in the last 12 months?

Participant
    @bumbalina

No. Nothing was done either internally or exterior to the property.
    Can joint-line cracks be a sign of something more sinister to come?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Bumbalina Bumbalina.
    Participant
    @demkel

Long periods of wet or dry weather can cause the ground to swell or shrink and can sometimes cause cracks to appear.

Profile photo of daniel vicdaniel vic
    Participant
    @daniel-vic

there could possibly be a crack in the plaster that wasn’t repaired whn the building was done..

example when the plaster in bought in to the house from the truck sometimes its get’s stacked a bit rough and there are cracks on the face that don’t get seen or just over looked

that’s one possible scenario

Participant
    @bumbalina

Thanks for your helpful replies. I, too, think it could just be a crack in the plaster board rather than the more sinister structural crack. Makes a difference in the decision to either sell now before more problems emerge or holding it for longer term and just fixing the plaster.

Thanks again.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

” The cracks appeared around Dec 2013 (6months ago). ”
    Has anyone been in the roof around that time or since who may have taken a wrong step ?
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.