All Topics / Overseas Deals / “Don’t put lipstick on a PIG”

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Hey guys,

I hope your well.

Please see below a blog post I wrote for my personal website and other online outlets.

Thanks and have a great day.

Renovating with delayed gratification in mind

Time and time again, I’ve come across many real estate investors who cut costs on hidden repairs with older properties that have potential to become high cashflowing investments. A cheap and temporary fix might look attractive at first glance, but will definitely result in costing you more in the long run, regardless if the property is a buy-and-hold or a flip deal to an end buyer.

When renovating properties in lower income areas, it is crucial to insulate the roof and walls. This will in return lower the tenant’s monthly gas bill by a couple hundred dollars. Most tenants in lower socioeconomic areas are hard pressed for funds and should not be given any reasons or excuses to short the monthly rent and pay for other unnecessary expenses.

Another “hidden” item that causes landlord grief and tenant disturbance is a problem with the plumbing. I highly recommend that every real estate investor contracts a competent and trustworthy plumber who has years of experience working on the properties and in the areas of interest. With this experience he should be able to predict all future maintenance issues and eliminate most of them upfront during the renovation process.

By implementing these strategies, the estimated or promised numbers on paper when evaluating the purchase- will be more accurate and achievable. There are too many shady operators that offer “amazing” numbers for these pig properties with only the very basic cosmetic work being completed (i.e. paint and carpet). By putting lipstick on a pig they smudge the prospect buyers and tenants eyes in paying top dollar for the purchase and rent. Making it a loose/loose situation. My experience has taught me that within 3-6 months of ownership issues begin arising and it becomes a never-ending cycle of problems. Most of the time resulting with that particular property becoming vacant and vandalized.

Utilizing the above-mentioned strategies up front makes it a win/win/win scenario for all interested parties. The buy-and-hold investor will save time and money without experiencing grief, the tenant will get a clean, renovated and efficient home and the flip investor will gain a good reputation and most likely repeat business for a very long time.

It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, and only 5 minutes to loose one.

Thanks for reading
    – Oink, Oink.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of EngeloRumora EngeloRumora.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of DwightDwight
    Participant
    @bigvman

I agree.
    Very wise advice. I own serveral rental rpoerties that could easily fall into this description. I knew in advance that I might be buying cheap because there was some remedial worl to do. Or to put it another way, the previous owner couldn’t be stuffed doing it.
    In the first year of ownership I spend more on outgoings than rental income, but after the first year the improvements will begin to pay for themselves in lower maintenance costs.

I send the advice to make sure you have insulation. It may cost 2k to get fixed but it means that your tenant wil be happier, and a happier tenant tend to pay on time!

Cheers,

Dwight

Dwight

Cashflow Positive Investor

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

I agree.
    Very wise advice. I own serveral rental rpoerties that could easily fall into this description. I knew in advance that I might be buying cheap because there was some remedial worl to do. Or to put it another way, the previous owner couldn’t be stuffed doing it.
    In the first year of ownership I spend more on outgoings than rental income, but after the first year the improvements will begin to pay for themselves in lower maintenance costs.

I send the advice to make sure you have insulation. It may cost 2k to get fixed but it means that your tenant wil be happier, and a happier tenant tend to pay on time!

Cheers,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight,

What are your areas of focus?

Have a great day.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Whether you are buying in America or Australia one thing is always the case. The profit is in the buying.

If you overpay for a property you are unlikely to get your money back. What this means is do your research carefully and ideally use someone you trust to buy the property for you. Most American agents have a can do attitude the problem is that they do not have a cant do attitude. In other words make sure that the person your are dealing with is representing your best interests.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of DwightDwight
    Participant
    @bigvman

I reckon Nigel is on the money there. You have to be prepared to do your research and find the right property.
    And you need to have it structurally inspected. There’s nothing worse than having to repair thing that really add no value to the property, like electrical and plumbing.
    Everyone expects these to be in safe working order, so ‘fixing’ them is not really ‘adding’ any value. It’s better to spend a little in the short term to weed out problems, or at least quantify your possible repairs and negotiate a better entry price.

My rentals are currently in NZ and QLD. I’m from Melbourne so it’s important to have a team on the ground you can trust: property manager, bank manger (if OS), building inspector etc to really complete your due diligence.

Cheers,

Dwight

Dwight

Cashflow Positive Investor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.