All Topics / Help Needed! / Need help with a small problem :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ManleyManley
    Participant
    @manley

Hey everyone,
    This is my first post and am a newbie investor.

I was just ‘re reading through the 0-130 book and am curious as to whether I can sell my existing house that has my name on the loan to a trust company that I am trustee for so that I can maximise my borrowings??

Jason

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

No dont do that!!
    1. It won’t increase your borrowing capacity
    2. You will have to pay stamp duty and may be liable for CGT as well.
    3. It won’t increase your borrowing capacity :)

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of DwightDwight
    Participant
    @bigvman

It’s good that you’re thinking about how to move forward!

I did a few things over my investing life that wer “borderlne” or tricky. Not necessarily by my own impetus, but becuase I was led to believed they were a “great opportunity” and so on.

I have learned that you have to stick well clear of the “line” and be on the side of the angels with regard to legals and tax.

It bit me in the bum more than once and I now listen a lot more to my wife, who is less stoopid than me for sure!

This isnt what you want to hear, but take heed anyway.

Dwight

Dwight

Cashflow Positive Investor

Profile photo of ManleyManley
    Participant
    @manley

Totally forgot about CGT, thank you for that. From what I was understanding in the book is that if i have a property in my own name then try and use my income as () through a trust structure, then I can only still borrow up to my credit limit regardless of how many trusts i have or how it’s structured. Whereas if I have my current home in a Trust then that debt would only count against my lending for that one bank I have the mortgage through and not through other banks. So for example now i have a $300,000 dollar mortgage, and they will only let me borrow up to 560k then i only have 260k to play with no matter what bank I go with or what structure I have, But if this loan was in a trust then i could go to another bank and buy through the trust up to the full amount of 560k?? is that right?

My goal is to buy and develop land around Perth and make lump sum profits so that i can borrow again and acquire positive cashflow properties and in 5-7 years be fully dependent on the income from the properties. I work away from home and am looking to start a family soon with my partner so i want be able to stay home with her and the kids.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Manley

Welcome aboard.

A trust structure isn’t going to enhance your borrowing capacity.

As Mick said – changing the ownership entity could be quite expensive too.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Manley

No hate to say transferring the property into a Trust will not enhance your borrowing capacity in most cases.

There are many other ways to increase how much you can borrow without the added costs.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Whereas if I have my current home in a Trust then that debt would only count against my lending for that one bank I have the mortgage through and not through other banks. So for example now i have a $300,000 dollar mortgage, and they will only let me borrow up to 560k then i only have 260k to play with no m

This is not correct.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi Jason

It’s good to ask these questions but the answer is no :(… I think the book might have to be updated.

Maybe your best bet is to talk to a mortague broker and see what stragedy
    Suits you best

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.