All Topics / Value Adding / New Metal Roof – My Chippy/builder wants to do… Thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of FigcFigc
    Participant
    @figc

Hi

Just some advice needed. My builder who is currently renovating my investment property wants to replace the metal roof himself with his team instead of calling a roofing company.

His quote is 4-5K less then roofing company. He says he can do the job no leaks no problems
    He does a lot of work for other friends/family so he is well know.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

If you are in Vic then it would be illegal for him to do so without being a registered roof plumber. Other states may be the same. Having said that it’s not rocket surgery.

Tools

Profile photo of Jeff123Jeff123
    Participant
    @jeff123

Pretty sure most states would be in the same ballpark with this – ie he’d need to be a specifically licensed roofer.

Profile photo of tom123tom123
    Participant
    @tom123

in qld its not licensed, I would let him do it but keep an eye on him. and when completed go up their your self and inspect with a friend take a hose and run the water for 5 minutes on each little bit of the roof while your friend is in the roof space checking for leaks (ideally before you pay him)

for more information you could have a look at the australian standards online, for roofing to get an idea about it (you don’t really need to) but its called HB39

Participant
    @tom123

make sure he buys colorbond roof sheets!

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools
    Participant
    @tom123

Yes i’m sure.

in Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

any building work valued over $3,300
    building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design
    building work of any value where it involves:
    Drainage
    Plumbing and Drainage
    Gas Fitting
    Termite Management – Chemical
    Fire Protection
    Completed Residential Building Inspection
    Building Design – Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
    Site Classification

Participant
    @tom123

It’s not a licensed trade*

Profile photo of Scott  BScott B
    Participant
    @snapscott

I would only use a licenced roofer / plumber to do my roof. If he gets it wrong the risk is disproportionate to the savings.
    Also ask does he mind if you contact his insurance company to ensure he is suitably insured to preform the works required.
    Will more than likely change his mind when he knows he has to insure the work and give you a copy of his insurance policy.

Scott B | Snap Mortgages & Finders2Keepers property Inspec
    Email Me

What's the worst that could happen ?

Profile photo of TerryTerry
    Participant
    @talsar

hi there
    it may not be a licensed “trade” but it would come under some form of licences or registration as singularly it is the most important part of the construction to keep water out, it would pay to check with the local building authority, you may also require a permit from the local shire or council, other wise you as the owner could be liable

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Terry Terry.

Terry | TRC Property Services
    Email Me | Phone Me

Remember: nothing stays the same and you can't make change with out changing

Participant
    @tom123

in Queensland anyone can get a ABN and advertise in the paper / start up a roofing company. it is not a protected (licensed) trade like a plumber / electrician

same as a chipper, cabinet maker, tiler and so on.

Participant
    @tom123

in victoria how ever roofing is a licensed trade.

Dean0
    Participant
    @dean0
    Profile photo of Steve RSteve R
    Participant
    @retissors

Hi Tom
    You said;
    “in Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:
    building work of any value where it involves:
    Drainage
    Plumbing and Drainage”

The entire metal roof makes up part of the total of the storm water drainage system. I would have thought there would need to be some sort of license or inspector involved to approve the works. Does the builders home warranty cover the metal roof cover? I guess it must.

BTW, thanks Dean for the heads up on the info re Victorian builders being able to obtain licenses to do this type of work. About time.

Steve R | In Design - Project Designers & New Home Builders
    http://www.indesignonline.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

DIY Registered Builder - Ask me how?

Profile photo of freykartsfreykarts
    Participant
    @freykarts

Isn’t roof renovation like replacement a part of the renovation they are working on your property? If you are able to trust them on the renovation why not on the roofing works. Otherwise you should not have let them work over your property in the first place. Hope it turned out well tho.

Regards

Frey | Auckland | roofing services

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.