All Topics / Help Needed! / INSTANT EQUITY FROM SUBDIVISIONS?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of GrantedGranted
    Participant
    @granted

Hi all I’m new to everything investing.

Is it possible to create equity from Subdivisions?

If so how would you go about it?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Profile photo of GrantedGranted
    Participant
    @granted

Hi Qlds007,

I’m interested to know more.

Do you have any example of a scenario that I could get ideas from?

And what would these relative costs be, I’m interested to learn the process.

Participant
    @granted

Hi Qlds007,

I’m interested to know more.

Do you have any example of a scenario that I could get ideas from?

And what would these relative costs be, I’m interested to learn the process.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Right… let’s take a closer look at this idea.

Equity can be defined as the difference between a property’s value and the amount of debt carried against it. Alternatively, it can be defined as the difference between current market value and carrying cost.

I think in this case you are asking how can I manufacture an increase in value by splitting one land parcel into two or more sub-parcels (literally sub-dividing). This is certainly possible and should be the goal of every investor pursuing this strategy.

The key here is that the sum of the parts needs to be greater than then whole (plus transaction costs).

Some areas are better than others for this sort of strategy. Typically those areas where smaller land sizes are not seen as a disadvantage deliver good profits, or where larger land holdings are too expensive for the average buyer but where smaller land parcels are more affordable.

Just be careful of transaction costs, time for planning permits (and interest costs while holding), GST and sub-division traps (like setbacks, easements, cross overs, access to utilities, etc).

Of course, you need to also consider what can be done with the land once sub-divided. That is, what sort of dwelling can be built on it, and whether that dwelling will be appealing for the target market you plan to sell to.

Oh, and a final tip… in most jurisdictions you don’t have to wait for the sub-division to go through before you sell. In other words, you can normally sell with a clause subject to the sub-division being granted. Be sure to check with a lawyer in your area first though.

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Participant
    @granted

Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying to my question as I’m interested in creating equity in subdivisions.
    Now that I know it is possible I will start learning more about the process.

Steve wrote:
    I think in this case you are asking how can I manufacture an increase in value by splitting one land parcel into two or more sub-parcels (literally sub-dividing). This is certainly possible and should be the goal of every investor pursuing this strategy.

Yes Steve this is exactly what I want to achieve as you mentioned above.

As a novice investor where do you recommend I start to learn about this process?

Steve wrote:
    Of course, you need to also consider what can be done with the land once sub-divided. That is, what sort of dwelling can be built on it, and whether that dwelling will be appealing for the target market you plan to sell to.

Oh, and a final tip… in most jurisdictions you don’t have to wait for the sub-division to go through before you sell. In other words, you can normally sell with a clause subject to the sub-division being granted. Be sure to check with a lawyer in your area first though.

Ok Steve, so correct me if I’m wrong. What your saying here is that I can sell the lots before I purchase the block and subdivide it before I actually start work on the subdivision? Meaning pre-purchased lots.

I’m a little naïve and novice here.

Would you be able to give me a easy step by step example from start to finish of this process?

Sometimes real life examples seem to work better for me :)

Cheers

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Richard,

Why not make the post here so we can all learn and just change the names and address details?

Sadly, posts like this that direct people to PM aren’t helpful to promote discussion.

– Steve

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Granted,

In respect to your questions:

1. You should pick an area that you have an interest in, that you can afford to buy in, where there is a market for your end product, and where the planning laws are suitable for the strategy you hope to execute. Good deals exist everywhere, provided you can solve them in a cost effective manner using skill and expertise.

2. My understanding is that you need to own the property first, but that you can sell the proposed land parcel before a new title has been issued on the condition it is issued. Check with a lawyer in your area though as different jurisdictions have different requirements.

3. As for an example, grab a hold of the revised edition of From 0 To 130 (book) as I walk through a sub-division I did in it.

All the best,

– Steve

Participant
    @granted

If anybody has any life experiences of creating equity from subdivisions and don’t mind sharing, especially for the people who are interested in learning the process all will be appreciated :)

I have been granted unlimited finance from a family money partner based on one condition? That I create instant equity with a plan in place.

This is why I’m asking the question as I would like to use this strategy as my financial starting point for building capital.

I have a family member who has 40 years of subdivisions but no investing knowledge. (Drainage pipe layer & sewer upgrades etc)

We can put all he utilities in gas, Telstra and sewer etc.

But need examples and help with the rest of the process.

Cheers!

Participant
    @granted

Steve,

Ill be looking into it asap! From 0 – 130 (book) thanks!

My first idea would be something like this:

Purchase a block of land lets say 1000m2 then split it into two lots of 500m2, lets say for example I purchase the block for $350,000 in order for me to gain instant equity I would need to sell the new two subdivided lots for more than the purchase of the whole.

As I started to spell this out I think I just got it!

CHEERS!!!!
    Granted :)

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hey Granted,
    Welcome aboard! I am fairly new myself and to property and this forum in the short time i have been a member has already given so much meaningful insight.

To answer your above question then on a parcel of land of that size I would be much more inclined to go for 3 or even 4 lots if possible. The reason for this is if you split into 2 500m2 lots then you are likely going to be building large houses, let us say for arguments sake 40sq each so total build of 80sq. Then let us say you sell these (I have no idea where you plan on developing) for 800k each then you end up with 1.6m. If however you were to build 4 properties at 20sq each and then sell them for 500k each then you have 2.0m or 400k better off.

Now the build costs will be slightly higher on 4 properties but the total build area is still equal to 80sq so it is not going to be drastically different.

If it also helps I am currently in the process of sub dividing my block. I am on 650m2 and have just had council approval to build a double story dwelling at the rear. I have decided to keep the front dwelling as my PPOR even though it is quite old and instead renovate it as i have limited funds.
    My planning permit took me about 6 months to get which is actually really good for a first timer (Im sure Steve gets his quicker :)). I put that down to a good draftsmen though who was just very up with the local council standards. A mate of mine got a dud draftsmen and it took 3 years of back and forths.

Good luck!

Participant
    @granted

Cheers Ben,

Thanks for the tips!

I’ve got my area I want to target.

I found the street I want to work on.

I’ve looked at the future potential of the industry.

I’ve targeted my end users.

I’ve done the demographics.

I called an agent and they found my ideal property.

An old house with 936m2 block at market price 1,090,000

I found out that its a distressed property (Divorce settlement) Quick sale

Its also already DA approved with a development plan of (4) lots of 4×2 units. ‘The draft looks good’

The owner happens to already be a builder and hopefully I speak with him today.

I have two options here:

1 – throw an offer below market value $700,000 with $300,000 instant equity and demolition the old house subdivide and on sell the lots at $300,000 per lot to a builder. (the seller is motivated)

2 – Or I’m thinking do a joint venture with the owner where he builds the 4×2 units and somehow we negotiate a deal.

A 4×2 unit will sell for $800,000 per 1

Now because I’m a novice my thoughts stop here.

The first idea would be the quickest. Because I’m not a builder I’m not sure of the time frame.

If I was to go with the second idea how would the process go?

Do I try and pre-sell the units before I start the subdivision? how does this work and what would you do?

What’s the arrangements into putting this all together? what do I do first any suggestions?

There’s obviously a step by step procedure.

Do I secure the property first? how dose his work?

Where do I start?

Cheers
    Granted :)

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hey Grant,

Again I am all very new to this myself so any advice I give please do not take as gospel, it is just my understanding from all the reading and research I do.

Option 1 I may be missing something but am quite confused. You say the market value is basically 1.1mil but you are going to make an offer 400k below this? I appreciate it is a distressed property but the owner would be crazy to sell at 400k below market value. This seems like a very low ball offer and in truth may really just anger the seller who will not want to deal with you afterwards.

Participant
    @granted

Hi Ben,

As an update of today.

The owner brought the property in 2008 for 640, 000.

In 2013 market value it was 1.2 mil

2014 it’s value is of today 945, 000

Asking price 1, 090, 000

I just spoke to the owner a hour ago and needs to sell.

He welcomes any offers. Getting Desperate!

So yes throw a dart and negotiate from there.

I’ll start with 750, 000 and have it in his bank account very quickly if he takes that price based on the speed of delivery.

I would cut it into 4 x 100m2 DA approved lots to on sell to a builder.

A 100m2 lot is worth about 300, 000

300, 000 x 4 lots = 1.2 – 750, 000 = $450, 000

If only the seller settled on 750, 000 I would make a 450, 000 equity.

It would take my uncle only 6 days to subdivide the 4 lots. 1 day to move the house.

From yesterday to today the light bulb has come on.

But I’m still struggling to understand the details in the process. Start to finish.

Where do you start in the process?

Somebody please lay it out :)

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.