All Topics / Help Needed! / Are buyers advocate worth it when using a renovation strategy?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hey All,

I wanted to get peoples opinions on whether or not they believe a buyers advocate is worth the price when attempting to go down the path of a renovation strategy.

I am new to property and looking to find a niche just to get me started and feel this strategy may work best for me. I am fairly handy with the tools and have cheap access to pretty much every trade required.

My biggest concern when starting off however is finding that right property. When i say this it is not so much the structural side of a property its more, the location, renovation potential.etc. Things i understand a buyers advocate can assist with.

I have spoken to a couple of buyers advocate and the going rate seems to be around the 2% mark of the purchase price. Given the money i have available then the first property I will attempt is probably going to be around the 300k mark which means the buyers advocate fee would be 6k.

So back to my question what are peoples thoughts on this? Do you believe a buyers advocate would offer a ROI?
    Do people have experience using buyers advocate when using this strategy?
    And any other information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Ben

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

If it’s an interstate purchase than I think the right BA would be worth it.

$6k sounds about right. Some are bit dearer.

Ask for some recommendations on the forum for BA’s in the area you’re looking in.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    It would need to be a Melbourne based purchase where i am from as I would be doing a lot of the work along with my contacts. Even better would be one close to my current location (North West Melbourne) so I can easily access it after work and during weekends.

Are you saying if its a local purchase you would not be getting as much bang for your buck?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Are you saying if its a local purchase you would not be getting as much bang for your buck?

Unless you’re extremely time poor and/or don’t have a lot of confidence in your own DD – I prob wouldn’t engage a BA if buying in close proximity to where you live.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Thanks Jamie
    I am thinking for my first attempt I will probably try and source my own property and see how I go (you never know if you never have a go).

My thinking being If i make a mistake it might cost me say 10k compared to if a BA sourced something decent for me(given I still do a lot of my own research and be very diligent, otherwise i understand the loss could be substantially more). But since the BA fee would be 6k then it would be a loss of really only 4k.

If however i get it right then i save the fee and have gained a whole lot of buying experience for my next venture.

Profile photo of Melb InvesterMelb Invester
    Participant
    @melbinvester1

Hi All,

New to this forum and looking for BA to give me the advice for this private sale (not specifying the suburb)base on RP DATA?

Weekly Rent 390
    Land: 651 SQM

RP Data Report
    Low $575,000
    Midpoint $662,500
    High $750,000

Date Price Property Type Type of Sale Sale Result
    29-Mar-2014 $660,000 House Auction Vendor Bid HS
    12-Nov-2004 $325,000 House Private Treaty Sold
    12-May-1993 $112,000 House Private Treaty Sold

Final Sale Price History

Advertised Asking Price

8-May-2014 $669,000
    2-May-2014 $669,000
    22-Apr-2014 $679,000
    30-Mar-2014 $699,000
    29-Mar-2014 Not Applicable
    4-Mar-2014 $630,000
    13-Nov-2004 Not Applicable

Suburb Growth: House / unit
    5-year growth 34.06 % 44.74 %
    Average Annual Growth 7.13 % 6.50 %

How much to offer?

Profile photo of DwightDwight
    Participant
    @bigvman

Can’t help you on that property. Go back and ask youself “What is my goal? What retrun do I want? What is my exit strategy?”

In realation to BA I used one when purchasing a unit in Neutal Bay NSW. I’m in Melbourne, so that’s why it was attractivfe to have someome “hunting” for me who knew the lay of the land.

In the end it was a good purchase. It was not yet on the market, was dirty, had a bad tenant. All great stuff as it kept the market away. I did a cosmetic reno and made a small lump sum profit and sold up.

Cheers,

Dwight

Dwight

Cashflow Positive Investor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.