All Topics / General Property / Positive Cash Flow Properties – Real world examples

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

There must be a lot of gain realists, retirees, deaths, divorces, etc in the US and only in certain areas.

What is your net yield?

I am not saying that investing is US property is good but it’s not as good as everyone tries to make it to be.

15% net return after all expenses(insurance, rates, taxes, management fees etc) in Kansas City, population 600,000. From what I saw there its actually better than I first thought.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Bennytee Bennytee.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Bennytee Bennytee.
    Profile photo of kateej03kateej03
    Participant
    @kateej03

ten_burner – I would really like to know what you mean by ‘hick’ towns. From a quick google search of ‘hick’ I came across
    “a person who lives in the country, regarded as being unintelligent or provincial”

I find this extremely offensive if this is what you are implying – I myself come from a town of less than 500 people and do not believe I am either of these things. I can also tell you that 99% that live in the country actually pay their rent on time and are excellent tenants and I wouldn’t hesitate to invest in such towns – from a small populated town I am receiving an 11% return and they are the best tenants I have had.

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

ten_burner – I would really like to know what you mean by ‘hick’ towns. From a quick google search of ‘hick’ I came across
    “a person who lives in the country, regarded as being unintelligent or provincial”

I find this extremely offensive if this is what you are implying – I myself come from a town of less than 500 people and do not believe I am either of these things. I can also tell you that 99% that live in the country actually pay their rent on time and are excellent tenants and I wouldn’t hesitate to invest in such towns – from a small populated town I am receiving an 11% return and they are the best tenants I have had.

I believe most people except “hick town” as general slang for a small regional town.
    I never said anything about country people not paying their rent on time nor would I.

I only spoke about fundamental issues with small towns that are commonplace (I except there is the odd exception like mining towns) like…
    longer vacancies, minimal to no rental or property growth, an illiquid property market (FYI the Dirranbandi property in the earlier posts has been on market since September last year), declining populations, lower LVRs.. maybe its the fundamental truths that offend you.
    Also your 11% rental yield is low when compared to the risks you are taking on, in my opinion there are bigger regional towns with similar rental yields.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I am currently in the United States in Florida, there are still great opportunities here. However rather than just focus on cheap housing we look at high quality property such as apartment buildings and commercial buildings. You have to be careful what you buy but thats why it is important that you deal with the right people

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

Dirranbandi has population of 437 people, although it positive cash-flow, in my experience the rent and value will most likely be the same 5 years from now.

Actually 2006 population was 437, 2011 census says it’s 711. Good growth.

Here is one from Roma. Population 6,906.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-roma-116248179
    Price: $280,000
    Rent: $430 per week

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of kateej03kateej03
    Participant
    @kateej03

ten_burner – having not heard of a hick town before and doing a google search the first thing that came up was “a person who lives in the country, regarded as being unintelligent or provincial”, perhaps it is common for the people you know to see it as someone from a regional town, however I would be careful what ‘slang’ you use, especially if there are other meanings to the word.

Also adding on to the risks you pointed out, I would not invest in a property without knowing these risks. The property I own is purely for positive cashflow, I do not expect any capital growth and I do not expect the rent to increase but that is not why I bought it.

Without this property I would have not been able to buy the last 3 properties I have purchased, all of which have been in capital growth areas.

Profile photo of startofinishstartofinish
    Participant
    @startofinish

First post – Looking for some constructive feedback.

Really not sure why inner city apartments haven’t been mentioned?

For instance, whats wrong with this one?

Pruchase price: $255,000
    Currently leased until February 2015 returning $1,999 per calendar month (499.75pw)
    10% deposit of $25,500
    Amount borrowed: $229,500 @ 6% is 343pw repayments (over 25 years)
    71.75 * 52 = $3731pa income…. minus tax.

Property in this area should also always be in high demand (although I dont know Melbourne that well) and has had growth of 4.8% over the last five years.

Just wanting to check to make sure im on the right track with finding positive cash flow property (with reasonable to good capital growth).

Also, is there reason why people do more than the minimum required deposit other than to lower the repayments?

Thanks guys.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of startofinish startofinish. Reason: Part added: (with reasonable to good capital growth)

startofinish
    Email Me

--Self education in progress--

Participant
    @superandrew

Hi startofinish

I included a 1 bedroom unit that’s in the Brisbane CBD.

Did you include body corp in your calc?

Participant
    @startofinish

These are the outgoings for a cheaper (Still 2×1) apartment in the same area to get an idea:

Approximate outgoings:
    Council rates: $509pa
    Water rates: $539pa
    Body corp: $2,344pa
    Total = $3,392pa

I made an allowance for expenses of 85*52= $4420pa …. which is probably a bit on the lower side, but keep in mind that I assumed the interest rate was 6% when bankwest offer a double deal home loan rate of 4.88% (at least they did when i checked last) which would bring the repayments down to $308 for the first three years, $35pw less than the number I used above.

startofinish
    Email Me

Profile photo of DwightDwight
    Participant
    @bigvman

This is a similar property to one I bought in my SMSF last year.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-surfers+paradise-114193959
    It may or not be cashflow positive depending on how much you want to put into it from an equity point of view.

Why did I personally like it?

Company title which meant low entry costs (yes there’s some grief too, but it was winner for me)
    Small block, not high rise.
    Tired – so upside potential

Mainly – I had more control than a bigger block with OC etc

Now this example is more the “after” to my “before” It has been reno’d with w new kitchen. I looked at this one last year but went with the cheaper “old and dingy” that was not in theat block but one very similar.

Just an example of what I’ve been looking at over the last 12 months.

Cheers,

Dwight

Dwight

Cashflow Positive Investor

Participant
    @superandrew

These are the outgoings for a cheaper (Still 2×1) apartment in the same area to get an idea:

Body Rates could vary a lot between Units. A unit with no lift/pool/etc could have a body corp of <$2000. A new one with lift/pool/gym/etc could have a body corp of $5000.

The body corp is there to maintain these facilities. Some older buildings might require more maintenance and hence a higher body corp. It’s better to just ask the agent.

But yes that unit should be positive cash flow given the price and rent you provided.

Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

Approximate outgoings:
    Council rates: $509pa
    Water rates: $539pa
    Body corp: $2,344pa
    Total = $3,392pa

I made an allowance for expenses of 85*52= $4420pa …. which is probably a bit on the lower side, but keep in mind that I assumed the interest rate was 6% when bankwest offer a double deal home loan rate of 4.88% (at least they did when i checked last) which would bring the repayments down to $308 for the first three years, $35pw less than the number I used above.

$85/week for expenses?? What about insurances and vacancies?

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

Participant
    @startofinish

Currently leased until February 2015 returning $1,999 per calendar month (499.75pw)

But yes, add insurance to that.

startofinish
    Email Me

Profile photo of BelindaCBelindaC
    Participant
    @purplebel

Hi superandrew, I am loving reading your posts, I am new to this game and excited about getting started. Where do you choose your suburbs from?? I mean how of you know the ones where the positive cash flow properties are likely to be???!
    Thanks

Participant
    @superandrew

Hi Belinda

Thank you for the compliment. I am happy that you love reading them.

Finding positive cash flow properties is not that easy and even after you have found them further research is needed to find out why they are positive cash flow before you commit to purchasing them. It’s quite time consuming and requires you to keep up with property related news, educate yourself on a daily basis and spend a lot of time searching. But it becomes easier with time.

I, myself, use a software tool that I developed for my own use. It goes through all properties that are currently listed for sale and determines whether they are likely to be positive cash flow or not. It’s not 100% accurate obviously but makes my job 1000 times easier and faster than it was before.

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

One thing to be very careful about is that interest rates in Australia are at record lows. They will not stay at that level forever. They are more likely to head to 7%. It might be another 12 months before rates start to move but the will move up.

Now if rates move by 2% how will that effect your numbers. I am also of the opinion that they will bbe a large over supply of apartments in inner city areas around Australia. I think it is highly likely that we will see prices of city apartments fall over the next few years to consider carefully.

I am taking more and more of m money to the United States

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @superandrew

That is true. Interest rates will go up and down all the time. But at least in Australia the banks will lend you money. In the US you will have to use your cash. So what you are doing is essentially paying off US debt with AUS cash.

I think I mentioned this before on this thread so am repeating myself here. There is a reason why US banks don’t lend money on their properties. Because they don’t regard them as safe investments. The more a bank will lend you the safer the investment is.

This tells me that US properties are much riskier than AUS so you are not comparing apples with apples. There is nothing wrong with investing in the US but you need to point out that the risk is higher not just the yield. If you want to have a higher yield/risk, you could also consider QLD mining towns.

There are a lot of positive cash flow properties in AUS. They are harder to find than in the US but in my opinion that makes them more valuable as an investment.

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Hi Andrew

Your comments are not accurate. We can borrow 60% through commercial banks on commercial properties which can include apartment complexes.Also the loans are non recourse which this means is that the loan is based on the property rather than the person investing. So to me that means that the banks do have confidence. There is a view that in most parts of the United States the market has now bottomed.

In my own view, is that provided you are selective there are better opportunities in the United States than there are in Australia at present.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @superandrew

I am referring to residential property. Most investors on this forum (especially starting ones) focus on residential property.

Commercial property is a whole different market that is affected by different factors. Loans on commercial properties are harder to get, have stricter requirements, have higher interest rates and only lend up to 60%. Hence reflecting the risk of the investment.

And as you said it “can” include apartment complexes but then again you are comparing different investment types that carry different risks. You are comparing an apartment complex to a house.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Deal of the week:

Purchase Price: $230,000
    900sqm subdividable into 3 blocks
    Rent: $440wk (duplex)

Gross yield of 9.95% – CF+ certainly does exist out there. :)

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.