All Topics / Creative Investing / buying off the plan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of blockablocka
    Participant
    @blocka

hi guys 

we are looking at buying off the plan properties,i have spoken to Goro Gupta

Property Investment Coach / Mentor & Mortgage Strategist

Positive Property Investments

I just feel uneasy after speaking to them can anyone help with where to start and or what mistakes to avoid, any help would be appreciated..

thanks

jason 

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Hi there, please do a forum search on off the plan…..risky investment in my view particularly in inner city Melbourne and Sydney with prices that only the Chinese can afford….

Cheers, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Any company that promotes city properties in the city Docklands  area should be very careful. There is a huge over supply of these sorts of properties with as many as 4000 coming out of the ground. Many are small apartments which will almost certainly go backwards in value over the next few years.

The reason so many of these groups are promoting these third rate investments is because in many cases they are getting as much as 8% commission. There are plenty of much better investments in Melbourne and else wear.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Simon CSimon C
    Participant
    @simon-c

Honestly, and many may disagree as they have had success, but most experts I follow suggest avoiding buying off the plan like the plague! I would never ever do it myself!  Here are some reasons I'd avoid it;

1) No one has a crystal ball, so what you buy for today bares no reflection of the value tomorrow, It could be less if there is more supply than demand

2) Generally OTP are unit in large complexes. One should avoid large complexes as your unit is like a commodity, there are many of them to choose from when you need to sell making it harder to sell for the price you'd like (plenty of stories about the GC and Docklands)

3) Mostly developers sell at inflated prices based on the fact its a new unit, it looks great, it has all the mod cons that you would want, pool, lift, gym, nice common areas, sounds great hey, then they throw in the guaranteed rental return or offer to pay the stamp duty. This is just designed to woo you in. Its all in the price and some!

4) Generally if an expert is selling you a property of the plan run for the hills as all they are an expert n is lining their pockets instead of yours!

5) If you are still thinking about buying off the plan re read the above again!

I could go on, but there are far better and less risky ways to invest in property than buying off the plan. The fact you are at the web site means you have a plethora of methods to consider depending on your preference for passive or active investing. Buying off the plan would be passive, if that is your preference, consider researching to find a hot spot and use a buy and hold strategy and repeat once you can afford to.

As always seek professional advice suitable for your own circumstances.

Cheers

Simon

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    blocka wrote:

I just feel uneasy after speaking to them  

Go with your gut. If you feel uneasy about it – there's usually a good reason.

I don't know the person/company so won't comment about them.

Generally speaking, the companies selling off the plan units are glorified agents making massive commissions from overpriced stock.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of gorogoro
    Participant
    @goro

Hi Jason and everyone here.

I just saw this message and thought I would clarify (so at least things havent been mis-construed).

Firstly, apologies if you were made to feel uneasy, as my intention is to help the best I can. A simple google search of myself should have given you a heads up about my philosophy and background. But we are all humans and the great thing is that we all have different opinions.

For everyone else here, this was a house and land package with an instant subdivision / equity position that was presented in Toowoomba at that time, certainly not units – especially not docklands – its concerning to say the least as to how that conclusion was derived.

As a company we over 80% of the stock sold being house and land in select growth areas with only select unit developments. Personally, my own portfolio is skewed that way as well.

There’s a difference in being logical about a purchase and looking at it as an investor and being emotional about a purchase and purchasing through greed and fear. That being said, i agree with most of the advice above, its good, solid advice! Do the Due Diligence and ensure numbers stack up to whats being promoted – with any investment.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of goro goro.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of goro goro.
    Profile photo of kane9539kane9539
    Participant
    @kane9539

If an expert is selling you a property of the plan run for the hills as all they are an expert n is lining their pockets instead of yours!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.