All Topics / Value Adding / Help Needed – Transportation of Renovation items interstate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of dezabilitydezability
    Participant
    @dezability

Hello fellow Property Investors,

I have recently purchased a run down house interstate in far west NSW (16 hour drive) and I have built up quite a lot of renovation items to be brought over. Basically EVERYTHING to transform the home ie. kitchen, vanities, appliances, blinds you name it.

Originally the plan was to find a company who would freight the goods in a container but to my SHOCK HORROR, I have been quoted by about 5 companies who want to charge me anywhere from $4,500 to $6,600!!! This is just madness. I don't even think the value of my goods equates to even half of the lowest quote.

My question is, does anyone have any advice on companies they have used previously, or any other options I have?

– I thought of using a trailer but there is just too much to cart over.

– Hiring a truck one way could be an option, but that means I won't have a car when I'm there duringg that whole period (3 weeks)

Cheers

Cherylanne63
    Participant
    @cherylanne63

Have you contacted Transport Companies from the place where your IP is located? Sometime country operators have lower overheads and charge less, and they might know someone else that wants stuff collected from the city that you could share a load.

C.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Buy a cheap van!

I bought a Long Wheelbase van a few years ago for my renovations and it can generally fit everything you need. If you get one with a towbar/roof racks you'll be laughing.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

Have you tried a small removal company, they might be cheaper than a traditional freight company.

If you hire a truck an drive it yourself, try an get a friend or family member to follow you there in your car.

typically I don't buy a place that doesn't have a decent hardware store within 30 min of it if I plan to renovate.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Freight companies are in it to make a dollar not a charity. You're talking around 40hrs + for someone to do this job for you including load and unload. 

Sounds like you have less than 20 cube so you should be able to hire a 3.5t pantech to do the job yourself. Perhaps have someone who can take your car and drive the hire truck back. Other than that do a round trip yourself to position your stuff.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Ask some of the truck rental companies near your goods if they have any "ferry drivers" they use to reposition vehicles from one way rentals.

Freckle has it too.

Lift back trucks are great.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    thecrest wrote:
    Ask some of the truck rental companies near your goods if they have any "ferry drivers" they use to reposition vehicles from one way rentals.

He's far west NSW. Tough trying to get stuff out that way for sure let alone backloads or anyone going that way. A DIY job if ever I saw one. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.