All Topics / Help Needed! / 1st time investor with $10,000 deposit. Where do I start and what do I look for?

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of glengaryglengary
    Participant
    @jamesbi

Hey guys I am really new to property investing too and I wanted to learn and ask from Dereks question, if Derek wanted to invest and deposit with $10,000 on a 150k – 200k loan say about 5% deposit and wanting to rent it out as a Ip would that mean it would be negatively geared and the only source of profit would be from capital growth only ??? 

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi NI,

The answer to your question comes from the "numbers" – at 95% LVR, there would need to be a really good Gross Rental Income to be +ve geared.  This is simply because of the high %age borrowed, thus making the loan a higher number.

Yield comes from Income divided by costs.  Thus with a 95% loan, the Income needs to be higher to still have a +ve cashflow.    Gross Yield is the "quick and dirty" number that is often quoted on here – simply, "Expected Rent per annum divided by Property Purchase price".    It is often used as a quick way to decide whether a property is "worth spending time on" prior to a possible purchase.

So if Derek were to find a property with (say) a 10% Yield, then it is likely to be positive despite the extra high (95%) mortgage.   .With Interest as low as it is right now, maybe even a 7% yield is enough…   But there are other costs, and they vary hugely….

Benny 

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.