All Topics / Help Needed! / Tricky situation with tenants – what would you do?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

Hey Guys,

I’ve had some exceptionally good tenants in one of my properties for the past 9 months. They have never missed a payment and appear to be looking after the property as if it’s their own. They originally moved in and asked if they could bring their pet outside dog (bout the size of a small Labrador), which I agreed to after seeing a picture of the dog.

However…

After I received a condition report yesterday, I found that curiosity got the better of me. I typed the tenants name into Facebook and had a quick look (don’t judge ha). What I found was that the pet dog was/is clearly living on the inside of the property. Not only that but the pet has gone from a single dog to also having a 2nd one living there.

I immediately called the agent and expressed my concerns. The very proactive property manager that I use said that the property is always exceptionally maintained and cared for. He also said it is a pleasure to inspect the property due to how clean it is.

I know this decision might be a no brainer for some, but it really annoys me because I was good enough to allow a dog as an outside pet in that small property.

I could probably get past it if it wasn’t for pictures of the two dogs fighting on the living room floor (floating floors). The property is a 1950s.

What should I do guys? Stop whinging and just take the rent?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

What state is the property in?

Generally speaking, the tricky part is that you can't kick tenants out due to pets.

I would take the next available opportunity to get in there and see for yourself.  eg, attend the next routine inspection with the Property Manager.  If you can see they are looking after the place, fine.  If they are not, so be it.  Either way, put the rent up and have the Property Manager insist they sign the relevant form that says they will pay for any damages the pet causes.  I'd offer to put up a cheap covered area outside so the dog can be outside more, and because that is an improvement I'd be increasing the rent for my troubles.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

That sounds like good advice. I was considering doing just that, attend the next inspection.

The property is located in QLD.

My property manager has suggested contacting the tenants and saying that dog hair was found inside and the owners are concerned that pets are being allowed inside. Then saying that the owners won't be looking to renew the lease if that is the case.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Wouldn't be that worried about it personally. 

If you have scratches inside and the floors are stuffed when they vacant the property. Their bond will cover it. And so they should cover it when they bring there dog inside. And post pictures on a public domain of their dogs

fighting. Can't really say they didn't bring their pets inside and they are responsible for them 

Have to work out if say 4/6 weeks loss of rent (whilst finding new tenants) and the property manager signing up up again for another lease is worth the money. Vs potentially some damage to floorboards that should be covered by bond and insurance 

Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

Yeah very true.

Might be a little extreme, but I have screen captured the photos of the dogs inside and made sure that her name is clear in each one. I guess it'll give me some evidence for when the time finally comes.

Jamie

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

If they're good tenants who look after the place I wouldn't sweat it. I've had dogs inside for years…no smell no damage. They actually make more of a mess outside.

Profile photo of vyvyenvyvyen
    Participant
    @vyvyen

I have two investment properties and have no problem with tenants  having pets, have excellent tenants in both with house, gardens always kept perfect and rent always paid on time.  Have had much more trouble with single guys letting everyone live in our property, partying, always late paying rent etc and a family with kids who did much more damage. I wish more landlords would let their tenants have pets, hate seeing them given up/put down. 

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

The tenant has breached your "outside" condition and your PM has overlooked the breach and wants to condone it.

If you want to agree with the PM, instruct the PM to get it in writing and signed by the tenant and cover yourself for additional damage, esp to carpets and doors etc.

There's a big difference in what damage is allowable as "fair wear n tear" when you allow a dog inside, even more for 2 dogs.

More bond would be reasonable since they've upped the risk factor but you probably can't demand it.

Good luck

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.