All Topics / Finance / Using Equity as a Deposit for Investment Property: How Does it Work?

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    jate wrote:
    Terryw wrote:
    Why are you paying interest with the LOC?

What I meant is that my LOC account, which is used 100% for Investment purposes only. Such as deposits for IP#2 and IP#3.

I am planning on tax-deducting the debit interest incurred on this account.

Currently CBA has it setup with the debit interest for this LOC account is being capitalised.

Is there any problems with this setup from a tax-deduction perspective?

Possibly.

If you are capitalising the interest the ATO may deny the deduction on the capitalised portion, but this will depend on the circumstances. This would probably only be a minor amount though.

Run it by your accountant.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of jatejate
    Participant
    @jate
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Hi Jate

Hate to say it seems go from bad to worse.

Think you definitely need a complete loan check.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, but can you provide an explanation why you think my set up is so wrong?

To recap, I have it as:

• LOC (100% investment use) – used to pay deposit for IP#1 and IP#2. Interest capitalised.
    • Transaction Account (100% investment use) – All rental income in, All deductable expenses out (interest repayments for IP(s), strata, water, management fees…etc)
    • Loan IP#1 – Interest Only
    • Loan IP#2 – Interest Only

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.