All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Bookkeeping of Settlement/Purchasing Expenses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of jatejate
    Participant
    @jate

Hi all,

Just recently settled an investment property and was getting around to doing the book keeping of all the associated costs with purchasing a property.

I've noticed a bunch of items which I've paid for whether it be through my mortgage loan or lawyers/conveyancer which I have little knowledge over and wasn't sure:

a) how should these items be classified and in what category of expenses does it fall under?

b) are these tax deductible and I should be providing these to my accountant at EOFY?

Common items seen:

• Property / Title Searches
    • Settlement Costs
    • Stamp Duty
    • Registration of Mortgage
    • Registration of Land
    • Discharge of Mortgage
    • Clearance Certificate
    • Loan Approval Letter
    • Government Search Fees
    • Pest & Building Inspection

Any input from an accountant or experienced investors welcome.

Thanks in advanced.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Jate

Provide your accountant with everything – including the loan offer document for your IP which outlines all of the fees/charges and your rental statements from your PM. A good accountant will capture everything – but it also helps to be organised.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of jatejate
    Participant
    @jate

Hi Jamie,

Yep 2014 new year's resolution told myself to be more much organized, hence I was trying to get everything pre-listed out and pre-categorized and into separate folders for each IP so that it would make it easier for the accountant rather that sending him a shoebox of just papers. Hopefully someone on the forums has some input on those items listed so I can get a head start.

Cheers,

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Jate,

As a "broad brush" approach, anything to do with the having a lender issue you a Mortgage(s) are a Borrowing Cost (which are usually claimed back at 20% per year over 5 years).  So these would include things like (from your example):-

Property / Title Searches   (could be – if the search was requested by your lender)

Stamp Duty                           (if this is Stamp Duty on Mortgage)

Registration of Mortgage  

Registration of Land           (if related to Borrowing)

Discharge of Mortgage       (did this discharge relate to "borrowing the money?")

Clearance Certificate

Loan Approval Letter

Government Search Fees  (could be – was the search related to "borrowing the money?")

The rest (thinking back now – it has been a while) would be Purchase Costs which I believe are capitalised and only recoup as a deduction on Sale.

Hope that helps – but your Accountant will know for sure….

Benny

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jate remember if the loan incurred mortgage insurance it is also a Tax deductible expense.

Had a new forum client contact me at the weekend whose Accountant had not claimed his LMI on his existing IP for the last 2 years.

LMI is deductible over 5 years or the term of the loan whichever is lesser and is proportional in the first year of ownership depending when you settled in the year.

Don't rely on your Accountant read up yourself on what you and cannot claim.

The following link to the ATO website may help you.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Media-centre/Articles/Tips-for-rental-property-deductions/

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.