All Topics / Help Needed! / Water charges

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Sam WSam W
    Participant
    @sam-w

Hi, long time listener, first time caller. 

It was with great shock today that my partner opened our water rates notice for our IP in Woody Point QLD to find a bill of $600 for this quarter. That is not a misprint. $600 Coming straight out of my sky rocket. 

So i realise now its time to act and get the property water efficiency certified. A few questions, who has gone through this process and what difficulties and costs are involved? Is it as simple as getting a plumber out to change the taps and shower head?  Also this bill was twice as much as last quarters amount was, i understand that i am unable to change the tenancy agreement until the lease is up to include water costs to the tenant, but is there anything i can do in the mean time to get them to come to the party to cover this blow out? The house is an old 3 bedroom timber workers cottage with two people (apparently) living there. The water statement commented that they have used enough water for a household of five people.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has advice on this situation.

Sam

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Yeh its a tough one when you get hit by a big water bill. 

I bought these timer sprinklers to water the lawn at a rental property and just set them to 4am and 10pm. 

3 months later i get a bill for $1400. I was like whattttt is going on here. Turns out the stock time on the sprinklers was 2 hours. 4 hours of non stop water usage per day for 3 months. 

Didn't your agent advise you to include water costs to the tenant? Just have to wait before you can forward all costs to them. Some agreements have a built in limit that over a certain KL usage Tennant pays for it. 

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Sam

I'd would be asking your PM if you need a certificate of currency before you can pass water charges onto the tenant.

In NSW (i don't know QLD legislation, thus why i say ask your PM) as long as it is marked on the in-going condition report that water saving devices are fitted, and the tenant accepts this when returning the in-going condition report, a certificate is not required…

Matt

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Sam.

Your PM could send the tenants a "please explain" about the unusually high water bill.

PM might also mention that the landlord will be factoring in all costs when reviewing rent level at the next opportunity,

and any cost savings will be appreciated etc etc.

Has someone checked the place for leaks or leaking pressure relief valve on the HWS ?

How soon can u instal a meter and start charging them ?

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Sam WSam W
    Participant
    @sam-w

Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated!

thecreast- The lease is up for renewal in May so i will be getting the property certified before then. I have asked the PM for a please explain from the tenant. Waiting to hear if anything comes from it. I am wanting to put rent up once this lease is up, is this allowed at the same time i include water costs to the tenant or do i have to choose one or the other?

Matt_Arnold- I believe in QLD it is mandatory to have water saving devices fitted and certification to pass on costs to the tenant.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Discuss rent levels of your property with your PM.  Compare it to other properties and ensure its rent is at the level of market rent for that property with a meter, whatever that is.

A tenant may argue that the rent level without a water meter was already a bit high and likely inflated a bit to cover water (illegal but arguable) but they accepted it knowing there would be no water charges, so a rent increase after installing a meter would be unreasonable, they may say.    

So ask your PM to be prepared with comparative property rent level data to support any rent increase, just in case. 

Good luck

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.