All Topics / Help Needed! / Will council try to charge me rates twice for 2 dwellings on 1 property

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of darkness72darkness72
    Participant
    @darkness72

Hi

I have a house with bungalow – all attached as the 1 building.

I have 2 tenants (1 for house, 1 for the bungalow).

Thinking wether I should be getting them their own waste and recycle bins or if they should just share.

If I advise council of this, or ask for additional bins…..

WHATS THE LIKELYHOOD THAT COUNCIL WILL CHARGE ME TWO SEPERATE RATES NOTICES…. OR CAN THEY ONLY DO THAT IF YOU HAVE 2 SEPERATE DWELLINGS / TITLES…..

Cheers

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Not separate titles, so only one rate notice. For example someone could own a block of 4 units on one title but they would only get charged rates on the value of them. Usually water charges are slightly higher as well ie one house might be 1k per year whilst 4 units would be 1.5k a year. which is why they havent previously subdivided them because the holding costs would have increased to 4k for water and higher again for council rates. 

I think you should ask council that you want to pay for another bin because  you have lots of rubbish

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Not separate titles, so only one rate notice. For example someone could own a block of 4 units on one title but they would only get charged rates on the value of them. Usually water charges are slightly higher as well ie one house might be 1k per year whilst 4 units would be 1.5k a year. which is why they havent previously subdivided them because the holding costs would have increased to 4k for water and higher again for council rates. 

I think you should ask council that you want to pay for another bin because  you have lots of rubbish

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Most councils charge extra if you want extra bins.

Not 2 lots of rates but just extra to cover the cost of giving you bins plus emptying them.

Our council wants $300 a year. No thanks. We'll make do with the bins we have.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

It is not the case that just because both dwellings are on the same title that council definitely won't charge you two sets of rates notices.

In SOME councils, they will absolutely charge you rates "per dwelling", regardless of whether it is on its own title.  The water company will do the same.  That stings.  One set of water service fees "per dwelling". 

Also of course, be aware that if council is not aware that the bungalow is a dwelling in its own right, that could open its own separate can of worms. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of darkness72darkness72
    Participant
    @darkness72

Hi Jacqui,

The Bungalow and house are all the one structure, but have there own separate external access doors and cannot be accessed between each other by an internal door.

Could you elaborate on the last comment "if council is not aware that the bungalow is a dwelling in its own right, that could open up its own separate can of worms"….?

I just bought the property, the bungalow has its own separate gas meter and electricity meter. I'll just pay the water bill for both tenants as its one meter.

Cheers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Catalyst wrote:
    Most councils charge extra if you want extra bins.

Our council wants $300 a year. No thanks. We'll make do with the bins we have.

Wow! A whole $0.82 cents per day.  I wouldn't pay that either.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm
    darkness72 wrote:
    Hi Jacqui,

The Bungalow and house are all the one structure, but have there own separate external access doors and cannot be accessed between each other by an internal door.

Could you elaborate on the last comment "if council is not aware that the bungalow is a dwelling in its own right, that could open up its own separate can of worms"….?

I just bought the property, the bungalow has its own separate gas meter and electricity meter. I'll just pay the water bill for both tenants as its one meter.

Cheers

Sure no worries.

Remember the council is a different entity from the water company, so the fact there is just one water meter doesn't mean it wouldn't be council's opinion that you have two dwellings.  A dwelling is something that has a bathroom (including toilet and shower/bath), a kitchen (with a sink and oven) and bedroom/living space.

If the dwelling is not approved with council, they could demand you apply for an illegal works permit (a couple of thousand to pay an engineer to draw up plans for the bungalow plus a $1000 permit application fee, plus $ for any amendments they demand such as increasing the ceiling height to the acceptable height.  Or they could demand you tear it down at your own expense (and no doubt charge you for a demolition permit for the pleasure). 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.