All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant been harrased by a neighbour

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of jadjad
    Participant
    @jad

My tenant has been harassed by neighbour (not next door but close enough)

They have had power disconnected at night entered the back yard and done physical damage to the fences. The police have been involved and believe that they know who did it and police have filed reports each time. 

The tenant (2 mid 20's females) have decided to terminate their lease due to concerns for their safety.

What are my rights as far as terminating lease? How much legally can i charge?

All help appreciated!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

Do you have a PM managing this property? If so – let them work it all out for you.

I don't know what your rights are – but morally, I wouldn't be getting in the way. If they genuinely feel threatened then let them go and get another tenant.

All in all – I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let your PM do the worrying – it's what you pay them for :-)

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

It's a Police matter and not grounds to break a fixed term lease.

You could do a deal if you want but you don't want to be out of pocket for tenant changeover costs and rent.

They may need an AVO if they can justify it.

As a landlord you could look at improving home security, like screens, sensor lights, lock the elec meter box and water mains valve.

Tenants could instal an online camera inside a back window.

Perhaps a dog from the pound needs a good home and doggie door, and dog access to front and back yards ?

Good luck

cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Jad

In NSW, a tenant can break the lease if a AVO has been issued against a current occupant of the property…

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tenants_and_home_owners/Renting_a_home/During_a_tenancy/Domestic_violence_in_a_rented_property.page

Not sure how / if this would extend the neighbor in question ??

If it went to the tribunal, it would be interesting to hear the outcome…  unfortunately, considering the circumstances (2 mid 20's females), i wouldn't be surprised if the member ruled in the tenants favor.

Matt

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I've been renovating one of my block of flats, and while I've been here, one of the tenants went on a drunk rampage against another tenant. I was there while it happened, and had to call the police. Very frustrating stuff!

It is a little awkward to kick him out while I'm here doing renos, but when I leave in the next few days, I'm going to make efforts to end his lease, and get my property manager to sort it out to remove him.

So I can sympathise with you, the awkwardness and frustration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.