All Topics / Help Needed! / Please help a novice!!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of TracymburlingTracymburling
    @tracymburling

Hello all,

i am new to this site and am struck by the level of expertise and cooperation the site offers.

i have recently read Steve McNight's book and am rapidly forming the view that property investment is the way forward for my family and I.

in short, we own our home outright ( valued at approx $700k). We have approx $250k cash in savings accounts  and $80k in various shares. I understand the devil is in the detail of obtaining the correct property. I'm wondering though, with that said, to get started ( we don't own any investment property at this time) how much should we be looking to spend on our first property acquisition?

A sincere thank you in advance for any advice that can be offered. I don't have a background in finance. I am a nurse who, along with my husband, have saved hard.

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Tracy

Well done on achieving such a strong financial situation through savings.

My personal preference for property is the classic ‘3 bedroom, brick and tile’ property that is generally pitched at the first home buyer market.

Where I am based on the Central Coast, these are generally priced around the low to mid 300’s.

My reason for this type if property is that they generally rent quickly, the returns are quite good and should / when i choose to sell, this type of property will always be in demand. I also find the value is much more stable than in some of the high end properties…

I’m sure you will get a whole bunch of different responses to your question.

My advice at this stage to you, if I may offer it, is to take your time formulating your approach. In the same way that it has taken time to achieve your current financial situation, allow the journey to investment wealth to take some time. Hopefully this approach will allow you to enjoy the journey and avoid a whole bunch of sleepless nights :)

Matt

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Tracy

Welcome aboard :-)

How much to spend on your first IP comes down to your borrowing capacity, tolerance to risk and overall strategy.

As a side note, I'd avoid using your cash savings to fund the deposit/costs on your IP purchase. If you borrowed those funds against your PPOR – they would be tax deductible. Just make sure whoever sets up your loans doesn't cross up your properties.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TracymburlingTracymburling
    @tracymburling

Hi Matt,

many thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. Coincidentally, I am based in the Central Coast also! I'll keep working on my plan. I am hearing that, as with most things, success or failure does lie in the panning or,lack thereof.

i am keeping an eye on properties both in the Terrigal/Wamberal area and on the peninsula. 

thanks again Matt. Appreciate your time.

regards

tracy

@tracymburling

Hi Jaime,

i didn't realise that. Thank you ever so much for the advice. I'll be sure to take it on board. I was under the impression though that I should only borrow up to 80% of the purchase price? I presumed the other 20% had to come from our savings?

kind regards

tracy

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Tracy

Maybe I’ll see you at an open at some stage :)

I’m currently watching Wyoming as my main focus…

If / when you would like some advice on different areas from a rental perspective you should talk to Ellen (www.therentingexperts.com.au).

Her company has taken care of my property for a couple years now and have been great to work with.

Matt

Ps. Jamie is bang on with his advice above. A good broker is invaluable.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Tracymburling wrote:
    Hi Jaime,

i didn't realise that. Thank you ever so much for the advice. I'll be sure to take it on board. I was under the impression though that I should only borrow up to 80% of the purchase price? I presumed the other 20% had to come from our savings?

kind regards

tracy

Hiya

You can borrow the 20% deposit as well as the funds to cover costs (stamp duty, etc) against the PPOR and then set up the remaining 80% loan separately against the IP.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@tracymburling

Got it. Thanks Jaime

@tracymburling

Fantastic. Thanks Matt. I'll keep an eye out for you!! Grin

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Tracy,

Welcome to another new member.  And "Well done!!" to you and your family for setting yourselves up so well.   Approach IP investing slowly and thoughtfully, and i have no doubt you will do well. 

I mentioned in another post somewhere that I spent almost a year – reading books, going to (usually free) seminars, meeting with others, learning to spreadsheet, watching the market, etc before finally committing to purchase 3 properties in the first year.   We had paid off our home too, and we re-borrowed against it (tax-deductible this time, as Jamie said…) to provide "deposit and costs" for those 3 IP's.   We also took the simple route – buying up average homes that anybody/everybody could afford to buy and/or rent.

Frankly, I was amazed at how well those three did in setting us up for more down the track.   My timing was fortunate too, as we bought them (in Brisbane) just prior to Brissy "going off" (this was 1999/2000).    I had a 13 year goal that we achieved in just 7 years, thanks to our IP investing !!!

Starting out, I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad (which set me off on the path in 1998) and Dolf de Roos's "Real Estate Riches".  He made some salient points that stick with me today.  Then I found other inspiring books – and met some very inspiring people too.   I suggest you read Steve's books, and I also particularly like the Jan Somers books – hers are also very readable, with a wealth of "numbers" that show the way.  That suits me, as I am primarily a numbers person.   

You sound like you are "good to go" too, as I was back in 1999.   Plan your path, check the numbers, read, learn, meet others, find your "team", research your buying area(s), then go for it.   And do drop in any time to ask any questions.  

Good luck,

Benny

@tracymburling

Hi Benny,

a big thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Congratulations to you also on your success. Sounds like I may be looking out for your book shortly!! Good for you.

i really appreciate the publication references you have provided and the sound advice.

i will absolutely proceed with caution. I did hear on the news tonight that it is currently a sellers market ( admittedly the story related to Sydney). I'm not sure if this is currently considered the case elsewhere?

i will look forward to hearing of and sharing progress.

kind regards

tracy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.