All Topics / Help Needed! / How to know if the rental market in a area?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of shelbyduckshelbyduck
    Participant
    @shelbyduck

Hi,

I am new to this forum.   Hopefully, I can get some advice.  

It all started from refinancing my husband's mortgage for a lower rate.  It turns out that it is not worth for him, or both of us to refinance the home( because of the mortgage insurance, and other debt he has,  no need to mention that the value of the house hasn't risen that much)  So We, at the moment just me, decide that maybe it is better to have an investment property.  So we are not just sitting on one property with bigger loan, but 2 properties,  and We have to do it before having any independent.(expensive kids)  I work as a casual staff with annual around 25-30K , his companies brought him about 50 K last year.

Our budget would be around 230K maybe able to stretch to 300K,  

My questions are:

Is mortgage insurance worth having?  I am thinking  that maybe try to avoid it and get a cheaper property ( like 1b apartment/unit instead of 2b or 3b apartment/house)

How do I know the area I want to buy has good rental market or not?  what is the good indication?  

we will need the investment property rented out straight away, if it is not already tenanted.  

When I tried to get the value of our house, 3 agents presented me the same property report.  I am wondering if these report is available to general public?

Profile photo of ChristineNurseChristineNurse
    Participant
    @christinenurse

Hi,

Go to Aust Bureau of Statistics and look at the following;

Building approvals – indicating if there are any activity in a suburb

Income & Household exp – can give you an idea of how much they can pay for rent,

do a suburb search, Under 2011 Census Quick Stats, type the suburb, and you get a quick view of the avg rent. For example in Shellharbour in 2011, median weekly rent is $300.

Play around this website, bear in mind its 2011 stats.

I also look at the back pages of some of the investing magazines which has a list of suburbs by state and the rent, very useful.

Good luck

Christine

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Hi,

Another tip to check out whether the rental market is good in an area is to check out the vacancy rates of a suburb.

You can find this out by talking to local real estate agents/ property managers, OR I think SQM research has an online website which gives out free vacancy rates for suburbs.

Good luck!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    shelbyduck wrote:

Is mortgage insurance worth having?  I am thinking  that maybe try to avoid it and get a cheaper property ( like 1b apartment/unit instead of 2b or 3b apartment/house)

How do I know the area I want to buy has good rental market or not?  what is the good indication?  

we will need the investment property rented out straight away, if it is not already tenanted.  

When I tried to get the value of our house, 3 agents presented me the same property report.  I am wondering if these report is available to general public?

Hi and welcome aboard.

I think LMI can be great – it can be used to purchase more with less. Yes it comes at a cost – but it's a deductible expenses when purchasing an IP and it means you can use more of the banks money and less of your own. Also – if the property value goes up over time, that initial LMI cost will probably be insignificant later on.

You'll need to check vacancy rates in the area. Low vacancy generally means it's a desirable place to live and/or a shortage of rentals on the market. A high vacancy rate will usually mean an oversupply of rentals and/or it's not an area people want to live in. It's easy to find vacancy rates – you can usually find them online, in the back of investment magazines and you can chat with local property managers.

To get a tenant in as quickly as possible, try and get the seller to agree to allow you to advertise the property for rent prior to settlement. That way, you might be able to line a tenant up for settlement day.

Those reports are probably residex, RP data or something similar. That info is available to anyone – usually at a price. Most real estate professionals hold a subscription for these services and provide them for free to their clients. You can also buy them directly from the companies that produce them.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of shelbyduckshelbyduck
    Participant
    @shelbyduck

Thank you so much guys! 

Great advice!! I have more study need to do. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.