All Topics / General Property / Property Education

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of IntrigueIntrigue
    @intrigue

Hello all, I have been wanting to further develop my property knowledge particulary with site analysis and project feasibility. I have been looking at a course offered by the sunshine coast university. Bachelor of economics and property development, I would love to do this course but it is too expensive and time consuming for me. I also have heard on many occasions that experience property developers do not place much value on such degrees. I would however love to gain access to some of the course materials or maybe undertake a couple of the sections of the degree etc. I am wondering if anyone has done such a course that may have some course materials they would be willing to share/sell etc. thanks 

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Did you hear that from a property developer. Or just a friend of a friend. 

I actually believe education is beneficial. You can either learn things the hard way. By doing, making mistakes and you know once you've cost yourself a few 10,000s in unexpected costs on a development that maybe a couple courses part time could of saved you that money. 

I would be selective with those courses and only choose the the development/ site feasibility courses. If you are only doing it to gain knowledge and not finish some degree . It wouldn't be more then a thousand or so per course. 

Conversely site feasibility doesn't have to be some long winded uni course. 

It really is just.

– how much is the end product/products worth 

– how many of then can I build on a site

– how much can I purchase the site for 

– how much are my holding costs, building costs, subdivision costs, planning, consultant fee costs, selling costs 

thats pretty much it.

but I would also say that being aware of things that can cost extra addiontal cost is useful for site analysis 

-slope and lay of the land, soil type/ie bedrock underneath or volatile soil. 

-significant trees

-heritage listings

– easements (planning constraints) /restricts size of building envelope 

– changes in development plan (future amendments)

– zoning, policy area 

– sewer, water gas and power accessibility (ie are you going to need upgrading or moving these services/extending)

– building costs – coming back to the foundations required 

– contamination / previous site uses 

knowing your area and the value of a 2 bed, 3 bed , 4 bed home in the area. As building 2 high end 4 bed homes might be worth worth more then 4 2 bed low end units. 

Your just trying to select the best value building, with the highest end sale price per dwelling (as a proportion) , whilst trying to stick to a profitable budget. 

Sometimes this is just years of learning like a apprenticeship/ or a uni course.

a uni course might teach you the knowledge. But may not give you up to date costs on certain services, learning on the go, would be more hands on, but if you missed something you could be getting hard lesson. I believe a combination of the two. A few uni modules to make you aware of the subject matter and then get out and give it a go. I mean the worse that could happen is that you would lose money/ but you'll get taught a good lesson and then you have a good story to tell :) 

Profile photo of APOLOAPOLO
    Participant
    @apolo

Hi Inrtrigue,

Mate the best advice i can give is if you can afford a investment property then get into property market first .Good investment will pay for your education .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.