All Topics / General Property / Living in a bubble

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

Hi all,

I thought this is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9Xuyw9l3Y

Till next time happy investing :)

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

Good doco, I agree China is in a bubble, however I don't think it will burst anytime soon, its a closed banking system, the governments owns the major banks there. a lot of the money stays in China because its not  a free market in the western sense. I believe due to this system it can bubble away for years before it blows up. 

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    ten_burner wrote:
    Good doco, I agree China is in a bubble, however I don't think it will burst anytime soon, its a closed banking system, the governments owns the major banks there. a lot of the money stays in China because its not  a free market in the western sense. I believe due to this system it can bubble away for years before it blows up. 

I think you need to have another look at the Chinese banking system TB. The shadow banking system alone is $24 trillion, not regulated and crumbling as we speak.

The Chinese are printing $200B/mth and have tried to taper 3 times over the last 6 months. Each time repo rates have shot up (up to 25%+ on one occasion) and forced the PBOC to relent. They're in a world of hurt and know it. The defaults are only just starting.

China Considers "Teaching Investors A Lesson" In Moral Hazard With Trust Default

Two Powder Kegs Ready to Blow: China & India

Chinese CDS Worsens As Post-Year-End Liquidity Needs Spike

Is The China Bank Run Beginning? Farmers Co-Op Unable To Pay Depositors

China's First Default Is Coming: Here's What To Expect

China's Liquidity Injection Did Not Calm All Its Credit Markets

China's Epic Offshore Wealth Revealed: How Chinese Oligarchs Quietly Parked Up To $4 Trillion In The Caribbean

Guest Post: The $23 Trillion Credit Bubble In China Is Starting To Collapse – What Next?

Do you still think its a closed system and won't bust soon?

The reality is the Chinese govt does not have this baby under control by any stretch of the imagination.

Participant
    @ten_burner

Like I said they are in a bubble, however I still believe it has a way to run. They are the biggest exporter of goods to the world. I am not prepared to write them off tomorrow. I think they have a few year to run. in my opinion markets always go further than people predict.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/ten-predictions-for-china-s-economy-in-2014.html

Blocked
    @freckle
    ten_burner wrote:
    they are in a bubble, however I still believe it has a way to run.

The bubble started to deflate over a year ago. They're already in a bust and it's starting to accelerate. The amount of capital fleeing China is increasing as those in the know head for the exits. You might be able to front run that exodus of hot money as it flows into global property markets but sooner or later you will need your own exit strategy when that flow stops or worse recedes.

Blocked
    @freckle

China Update…

China Is Running Out Of Money

• So how bad is the situation?  Anne Stevenson-Yang of J Capital Research reports that the tax bureau of one of China’s largest cities “has no money.”  Its officials, incredibly, have been told to collect their own salaries from taxpayers directly.  The breakdown of government in that city is also evident across the country, where localities are now desperate for revenue.
    • When shops close to avoid predatory officials, we know China’s coffers are almost empty.  And to make matters worse, the country’s financial problems will be harder to solve now that the country’s balance of payments has turned negative.  The net outflow in the second quarter of this year was the first since 1998.  The country’s reserves also dropped in Q2.  We should not be surprised: there was perhaps $110 billion of capital flight during that period, and the gusher outflow looks like it continued in June.  Chinese citizens are losing confidence fast.

China Halts Bank Cash Transfers

• Banks are evidently scrambling for cash.  They have, in the past, resorted to desperate maneuvers at the ends of calendar quarters to meet regulatory requirements.  The current crunch is even more alarming because it cannot be occurring for quarter-end reasons.

Something is very wrong in China at the moment Banks’ apparent need to conserve cash, coming just weeks after the last incident, looks ominous.

If these incidents aren't evidence of a financial system under extreme duress and on the verge of collapse I don't know what is.

Participant
    @ten_burner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25805227

China's economy, the world's second-largest, has shown signs of stabilising, as 2013's growth rate matched that for 2012, official data suggests.

Blocked
    @freckle
    ten_burner wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25805227

China's economy, the world's second-largest, has shown signs of stabilising, as 2013's growth rate matched that for 2012, official data suggests.

'has shown signs of stabilising,' ….

.(…wiping coffee off of keyboard)

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

Blocked
    @freckle

A correction to a previous post above #6… my bad

No, There Is No Stoppage Of Cash Transfers In China

Makes me wonder why Forbes would intentionally print a bogus story when it's obvious it would be challenged rather quickly. 

An attempt to stymie HFT algo's perhaps???

Participant
    @ten_burner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

China's debt is nothing compared to a lot of western counties in percentage terms of GDP to debt & their GDP is growing at 7% plus (giving them the ability to service debt). I am aware the dollar figures thrown around in these articles are huge sum's of money, but in relation to the size of their economy and a 1.3 Billion population it is relative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

By the way NZ (where you are I believe) is comparable in percentage terms of GDP to debt without the growth to China . It also has lower unemployment levels 4% in stead of NZ 6%

Blocked
    @freckle

China's debt is widely considered to be under estimated and its debt over estimated. Corporate debt is more realistically assessed at around 155% of GDP alone.

For the size of its economy China's debt is off the planet. Throw in $23T in shadow banking debt and you have a debt burden in the vicinity of $38T…truely staggering

The growth of China's debt is unparalleled..

Central Govt debt estimates…

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

Awesome doco, something I have seen first hand in China. Anyone taken the bullet train from Bejing to Shanghai? empty plains, then bang the new month there are 100 apartments going up. They have a interesting 'incentive' system to 're-populate' with small business owners obtaining cash incentives and ownership then make a killing when they sell it two years later.

The developer discount of 1/3 was pretty sad though.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Participant
    @ten_burner

If the situation was as dire as you suggest it would reflected in unemployment figures. It is not.

One of the main parts to your argument was that the gravity of the situation was so bad that yesterday the Chinese government was stopping cash transfers which later by your own admission turned out to be incorrect. I am not saying China is perfect I am just not writing them off tomorrow. we can revisit this topic later in the year and see how "dire" the situation has become. 

Participant
    @ten_burner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvmru5JmXk

Another reason I won't write them off. Try doing this in Australia or NZ. 

Blocked
    @freckle
    ten_burner wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvmru5JmXk

Another reason I won't write them off. Try doing this in Australia or NZ. 

The story is a furfy. It was assembled in 30 days not built in 30 days. Standard building practice for modular systems. What's more interesting about Chinese building technology is that the Forbidden City was built this way including building ice roads (pooring water to form ice on dirt roads during winter) to move large blocks of stone that couldn't be transported any other way. Chinese tech is extremely old and centuries if not millennia ahead of the west. They cast the largest bronze piece ever, drilled for oil with bamboo drilling rigs etc etc.

Your reasons for not righting them off are invalid in this day and age. You need something more relevant and something that is logical if your trying to suggest they can levitate their economy with current practices. The evidence is everywhere but like many who choose not to see it or when they do rationalise it away as irrelevant. Cognitive dissonance.

Blocked
    @freckle
    ten_burner wrote:
    If the situation was as dire as you suggest it would reflected in unemployment figures. It is not.

Chinese data is widely considered to be BS and the fact they have no social welfare system and consequently no data on unemployment kinda makes the point moot. There is far more relavant indicators namely income levels which are stagnant and have been for years, SME bankruptcies, etc etc.

Quote:
    One of the main parts to your argument was that the gravity of the situation was so bad that yesterday the Chinese government was stopping cash transfers which later by your own admission turned out to be incorrect.

It wasn't a main point. Just one of many. The fact that one was deliberate misinformation should pose more interesting questions as to why. 

Quote:
    I am not saying China is perfect I am just not writing them off tomorrow.

I have no idea what tomorrow means. That's anywhere from the next day to infinity. China has been in measurable decline for around 2 years now. If you don't understand that the PBOC has lost control of the economy you're looking at it through rose colored glasses.

Quote:
    we can revisit this topic later in the year and see how "dire" the situation has become. 

When the PBOC has to print $200B/mth to keep this baby afloat a little bit longer we're way past 'dire'

This could be the trigger

A Wave Of Chinese Trust Defaults Might Be Underway And Things Could Get Scary For Chinese Banks

• When we take these waves of trust defaults, WMP defaults, the credit crunch we saw in December and back in June, and the surge in local government debt at a time when China's economy is slowing, the picture gets a little scary.

"People have said for some time that China's shadow banking sector, including trust sector, are an accident waiting to happen and now it's happening," Chovanec said.

The reality is that China is collapsing now. What you're seeing out there is the PBOC fighting fires everywhere trying to get this thing under control but failing. They are at a point where they'll will have to choose which fires to fight and which to leave to burn. They just bailed out the first mega trust and have set themselves up for a world of hurt now after creating a precedent.

China isn't the only sick economy to worry about either. US is looking decidedly dodgy of late. Markets are slipping, rates are rising, Big Business is in layoff mode again and earnings forecast are pretty grim – all on a tenny wenny little taper. Jeez. Throw in EM's falling into FX collapse left right and center and rioting in the streets and you get the feeling things are really starting to unravel.

Participant
    @ten_burner

So Economic growth, Low unemployment, the fastest growing major economy in the world, the biggest exporter of goods to the world and a growth rate averages of 10% per annum for the last 30 years not a valid argument? these are typical ways people judge other countries.

My bet is NZ will be in a recession first. it spent 2 years in the last 7 in one. very boom bust NZ. they have the views though.

Like I said we can revisit this later in the year, if you are right unemployment levels will spike and economic growth will be in the toilet. This is yet to be seen

Blocked
    @freckle
    ten_burner wrote:
    So Economic growth, Low unemployment, the fastest growing major economy in the world, the biggest exporter of goods to the world and a growth rate averages of 10% per annum for the last 30 years not a valid argument? these are typical ways people judge other countries.

My bet is NZ will be in a recession first. it spent 2 years in the last 7 in one. very boom bust NZ. they have the views though.

Like I said we can revisit this later in the year, if you are right unemployment levels will spike and economic growth will be in the toilet. This is yet to be seen

Economic growth is so furry as to be almost useless. GDP has always been one of those popular stats that poly's and academic economists like to quote but every country has a different way of calculating it to suit their needs;

• Macroeconomic Transparency

There is a worldwide obsession with Chinese gross domestic product (GDP). GDP is a poor measure of national wealth and economic performance. This is especially true in China where so many transactions are “empty”: China’s official benchmark of fixed asset investment for 2012, for instance, was about $1.75 trillion higher than the State Statistical Bureau’s (SSB) number for gross fixed capital formation, the standard international measure.[2] Land or used machinery changes hands but creates no additional value. Funds are said to be spent, with no identified benefit. Fixed asset investment is dutifully reported every month, while gross fixed capital formation appears only once a year.

China's growth came off an extremely low base consequently high growth looks impressive but is small in scale. As it's economy scaled up over the years that growth becomes a destabilising factor. You can't double your economy every 5 – 10 years indefinitely without running into major problems. China drove growth by stipulating growth rates required of regional leaders. Consequently much of this growth was driven by misallocation of capital simply to fulfill demands from Bejing. Other strategies involved fraudulent invoicing to make their GDP figures meet targets.

Low unemployment. Reality check because employment is a poor indicator of financial wealth and health –

http://www.china-mike.com/facts-about-china/facts-rich-poor-inequality/

• China has about 150 million people living below the United Nations poverty line of one US dollar a day.
    • Nearly 500 million Chinese people live on less than $2 a day.
    • 85% of China’s poor live in rural areas, with about 66% concentrated in the country’s west
    • 99% of China’s poor live in or come from rural areas, according to national statistics, which count migrant workers in cities among the rural, not urban poor. Even if migrant workers are excluded from the rural population, 90% of poverty is still rural.
    • Over half of China’s population lives in rural areas…but they share less than 12% of the country’s wealth.
    • Levels of poverty are higher and more severe in China’s western regions, but nearly half of the poor are in other parts of the country.
    • China’s poverty among ethnic minorities is two to three times higher than among the Han Chinese.
    • Up to 200 million Chinese workers and peasants suffer from occupational ailments, according to data from the Ministry of Health.
    • China’s middle class is estimated to between 100 million and 150 million people.
    • China has about 55 million middle-class households
    • China ranks #53 worst worldwide in terms of income inequality, with a Gini index (measuring wealth inequality) of 41.5. In comparison, the U.S. ranks #40 worst with a Gini index of 40.
    • In the mid-2000s, China’s top 10 percent of the population controlled 45 percent of the country’s wealth.
    • In 2009, China’s urban per capita annual income of about US$2,500 was nearly three times that of rural residents. The gap is much more extreme in larger, wealthier cities such as Beijing ($9,085 in 2008) and Shanghai ($10,529 in 2008).
    • The average annual income in China’s cities is now more than three times the average income in the countryside, according to the National Bureau of Statistics.

China Daily, the government-run newspaper, reported that it was the widest disparity for more than three decades.

• Real estate and manufacturing together make up more than half of China’s wealth creation among the richest Chinese individuals.

2nd largest economy and largest exporter. Big is only an advantage when demand exceeds supply. It is a major hindrance when supply exceeds demand. China is currently experiencing over production and over capacity in the range of 30%. Business defaults are accelerating as global demand continues to contract for China's 'stuff'

One of the reasons I came back to NZ was that I believe that when a global correction comes NZ is small enough and diverse enough with its exports to still function at a better than average level comparatively.

NZ's primary exports are largely in growth areas regardless of economic conditions.

The down side is that the countries we export to are extremely vulnerable to economic crashes. China falls over Australia will feel a lot of pain and that will rub off on NZ from both sources. You might note that not so long ago the US was NZ's primary market but it's now slipped to 3rd.

Blocked
    @freckle

I thought Doug Noland hit it on the head when he said..

Backdrops conductive to crises can drag on for so long – sometimes seemingly forever – as if they’re moving in ultra-slow motion. Invariably, they lull most to sleep. Better yet, such environments even work to embolden the optimists. This is especially the case when policy measures are aggressively employed along the way, repeatedly holding the forces of crisis at bay. In the face of mounting risk, heightened risk-taking and leveraging often work only to exacerbate underlying fragilities. But eventually a critical juncture arrives where newfound momentum has things unwinding at a more frenetic pace. It is the nature of such things that most everyone gets caught totally unprepared.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.