All Topics / Help Needed! / Strategy to make $1M

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of MrLasVegasMrLasVegas
    Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Hi everyone,

I have a good-sized portfolio of over 10 properties and have done a few renovations in the last year but in 2014 I'm ready to step it up to the next level. I want to make $1M in a single deal. This could be cash or equity, it doesn't matter. I would love to hear everyone's approach to doing this. As I do, please assume you:

– Have $5M in cash/equity

– Want to do something in Sydney or Brisbane

– Work a current full time job (i.e. can't spend 40 hours a week project managing)

Of course I could continue to buy and hold one property at a time, but that's boring. Excited to hear your ideas, whether it's something to do with a block of apartments, commercial, development, etc.

Thanks!

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I recently had a client get DA for 2 detached dwellings on a 280sqm block in eastern suburbs syd. She will clear at least $800 profit. Purchase price of $1.5mil and DA fees of $150k.

Good town planner and understanding of planning requirements is a must. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I don't know … $800 doesn't sound like much of a profit to me wink

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of jfk_ojfk_o
    @jfk_o

Review house prices in China, multiply it by 80%, put deposits on off the plan apartments at that price in areas Chinese are buying or with projects aimed a Chinese buyers. As unemployment rises in Australia its probably your safest bet. But that's all speculation of course. And 20% is a big ask on the back of a cycle.

Profile photo of MrLasVegasMrLasVegas
    Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Shahin, that's interesting. What kind of dwellings are they then if not attached (duplex)? Also which suburb if you don't mind me asking? I'm on lower north shore.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

I have sent you a PM with the details – its 2 x 3 storey dwellings.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Look at taking a Call Option on a potential development site.

Last one we did netted over 1.2 M in the year and we use it as a secondary income to our buy and hold rents.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Great, thank you.

Participant
    @mrlasvegas

Hi Shahin,

I didn't get it. Can you send again please?

Profile photo of jfk_ojfk_o
    @jfk_o

When you say call option what are the formalities for locking down legally such an option? (Contract, Caveat?)

Is there a usual way that an owner of a property would be approached to make an offer to enter into a call option over a particular property?

What sort of terms would be in such an offer?

What are the key things to getting development approved?

Profile photo of andkozandkoz
    Participant
    @andkoz

You may be interested in developments, as this way you can accelerate building your equity. In my case, I am looking for a suitable site in Brisbane (< 10 km) to develop townhouses. Land should be $150k – $180k per townhouse. Building cost $250k /townhouse. The townhouse would typically consist of 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms and single garage. This includes all costs, such as professional fees, council fees, finance cost and building cost. So cost per townhouse is $400k to $430k. Sale price should be $480k to $560k per townhouse. Time frame: 3 months start up (DA & BA), 8 moths construction, 3 months sale. Profit $80k plus per townhouse. I would be interested in sites suitable for at least 4 townhouses. The more townhouses the better economy of scale. I would build the townhouse myself, as I am a builder and investor.                                                                                                                                                   

Andrew Koziel

[email protected]

M:  0418603958                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

How much Servicablity do you have ? 1-2 mil or more. With 5 mil / cash (not equity),

I think you can make a bit more then a million in a 18 month-2 year period.  Plenty of medium/ high density developments in good areas, 20/30 2 to 3 storey houses. That would bet closer to 2.5 mil.-3 mil (depending on intrest for loans if required or not)  With land at 1 mil purchase price. 5 mil of construction 1 mil of development costs: 10 mil end value. You could gear at 40-50 % LVR and not require any presales. Could sell 15/20 houses and keep  8-10 houses  free hold (end value 300-320k a home 3bed / 1 bath.  Subdividing land as well instead building a apartment building is going to give you that extra equity before you commence building. 

Pm me and I can show you some of the types of sites I have been putting offers on with my business partners, sites are in Adelaide even though u said Sydney. But money is money.  

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.