All Topics / Help Needed! / -Help- First Property PPOR

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of ronnie01ronnie01
    Participant
    @ronnie01

Hey guys I am 20 yrs old and looking to buy my first property in early 2014, my max price $300,000 with a  20% deposit. My question I wanted to ask was, should I see a mortgage broker or just borrow directly from the lender ? Whats some trips and traps to look out for ? how do I find the best price ? or the best broker ? any real estate traps from the agents? If there is any step by step advice please feel free to add in because I assume the majority on this forum have already existing propertys and are well experienced. Thank You for taking your time to read my question and Happy 2014 best of luck to all your properties in the New Year

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Matt

Firstly welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy your time with us.

Congrats on your decision to purchase your property especially at such a young age and with such a good deposit saved up.

Maybe i am slightly biased but i would always suggest using a Broker as most have a wealth of knowledge and can give you a raft of lending choices to suit your circumstances rather than a Bank who can only tell you what they have to offer. No lender is going to tell you that you can do better up the road.

A good broker can listen to what you need in a loan both now and in the future and come back with a suitable recommendation.

Most Brokers (we don't for one) don't charge fees as they are remunerated by the lender and in many cases the Broker can get a better over deal than you could going to the lender directly.

Many of our clients start with a PPOR but know that they really to get into their first IP as soon as possible and need to consider a structure that allows for change of flexibility.

Wishing you a good New Year also.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Matt,

Qlds007 wrote:
    Maybe i am slightly biased but i would always suggest using a Broker

As one who is not a Mortgage Broker, let me say that I have found it to be a very good move to involve one. 

As Richard says, a bank will not tell you that your circumstances would be better suited by another bank's product.   A Mortgage Broker is able to take an overall look at YOUR situation and tailor a loan for YOUR benefit, as they have hundreds of possibilities at their fingertips.

Richard is one who is spoken of highly within the forums, and there are several others right here who are also able to assist you (check their sigs as they reply).   Their replies give a very good idea of their expertise – as you read them, ask yourself if any bank lender would be able to provide similar in-depth answers.

I say do yourself a favour, and check out what a MB can do for you.

Quote:
    any real estate traps from the agents?

Yeah, don't ask a barber "Do I need a haircut?"   An agents role is to sell you a property, and they are expert in closing deals.   Remain level-headed (perhaps even take someone else along with you who can give some cool and calm advice).  

Think of it like a Sale at a store – if you find an appliance that you like, appear interested yet mildly un-convinced, and can walk away even after they lower the price, and then go check out other appliance stores for better, you are ready to deal with an RE agent……  smiley 

Especially with your first buy, do be sure that you have your solicitor inspect the contract PRIOR to your signing it.   That is a very sensible way to give yourself time to relax and REALLY consider if this is the house you want.   

And have your finance in place (i.e. you have already seen your Broker) prior to buying.  Good luck,

Benny

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    mattliasiian wrote:
    Hey guys I am 20 yrs old and looking to buy my first property in early 2014, my max price $300,000 with a  20% deposit. My question I wanted to ask was, should I see a mortgage broker or just borrow directly from the lender ? Whats some trips and traps to look out for ? how do I find the best price ? or the best broker ? any real estate traps from the agents? If there is any step by step advice please feel free to add in because I assume the majority on this forum have already existing propertys and are well experienced. Thank You for taking your time to read my question and Happy 2014 best of luck to all your properties in the New Year

Hi Matt

If you go direct to the bank they can only advise on their banks products. If you go to a broker they'll have access to dozens of lenders.

With bank staff, there aren't a lot that are clued up with property investment structures. The same goes with some brokers – you'll find that some are absolutely clueless when it comes to IP related structures.

If you're comfortable with dealing remotely with a broker than you can select one from anywhere in the country. Just shoot them an email or give them a call and see how you go. 

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Matt

Initially, well done on saving such a significant deposit at your age.

I would defiantly recommend going via a broker. Both Richard and Jamie who have commented above would serve you well.

Have you thought about your long term strategy at all ?

Eg. Are you looking to simply buy one house and pay it off as quick as possible, thus living ‘mortgage free’ or are you looking to build a multiple property portfolio ?

My biggest advice to you, is answer the above question as early as possible, as it will define the choices you make going forward.

Matt

Profile photo of ronnie01ronnie01
    Participant
    @ronnie01

Hey Guys 

Thanks for all the kind advice, I will def look at a broker.

Hey Matt at this stage probably a bit of both because I definitely want to build my property portfolio in the future, but at this stage I wanted basically start with my own base first, because I want to do business and have other things on the side. So I want to be able to leverage my money.

Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Matt

You’ll do well mate :-)

When you talk with a broker, make sure they understand your long term plans as this will have an impact on how they structure things.

Oh, and make sure you ask a heap of questions, and most importantly, you understand the structure they are recommending.

Knowledge is power…

Cheers

Matt

Profile photo of ChristineNurseChristineNurse
    Participant
    @christinenurse

Hi,

For my first Property: I went and spoke to 2 banks, 1 credit union, 3 MB!! Yup be prepared to do your due diligence, compare and go with what is logical. I go thru MB due to their flexibility. I printed out a list of Questions to ask MB, i think you can get it on the website and asked a thousand questions! This forum is also a good place to get knowledge from experienced property investors. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Profile photo of aussieguy2000aussieguy2000
    Participant
    @aussieguy2000

I would also recommend a broker, you can always walk away (and I have on a few occasions in the past) if they can't give you the best deal for your situation. I wish I had been able to find a decent broker back when I started buying property, but the internet and brokers weren't a big thing back then (not how they are now with property anyway).

Participant
    @ronnie01

Thanks for all the advice guys its great!!!

I am thinking now maybe to purchase out in the suburbs something decent between $200,000 – $250,000

something relatively good location with 2 bedroom house. I want to live there maybe 2 – 5 years and so I can do my own business and continue to build capital and save because the  mortgage repayments won't be so high and than once I have saved enough I can purchase another property and rent the 1st one out.

what do you guys think?

thanks

Participant
    @matt_arnold

Hi Matt

That sounds like a great plan…  it's also how i got started with property :)

Not sure if your still single, but renting a room to a mate will very quickly add to your savings.

When you do buy the property, just try to keep in mind that it is only a stepping stone for you, and ultimately it will become an investment and as such, buy something that will be a good rental – Eg. Close to train / transport, schools, shops etc

Cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    mattliasiian wrote:

Never go directly in my opinion. You need advice on structuring the loan and there are a few tax strategies you could employ with that deposit money too – have your cake and eat it type.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @jamie-m

Going direct can also be luck of the draw in terms of the quality of the banker you get.

I get nervous going to my local bank branch for anything because some of the staff are hopelessly incompetent (sounds harsh but it's the truth). I tried switching an offset account from one loan to another and it was an extremely painful process. 

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc
    mattliasiian wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice guys its great!!!

I am thinking now maybe to purchase out in the suburbs something decent between $200,000 – $250,000

something relatively good location with 2 bedroom house. I want to live there maybe 2 – 5 years and so I can do my own business and continue to build capital and save because the  mortgage repayments won't be so high and than once I have saved enough I can purchase another property and rent the 1st one out.

what do you guys think?

thanks

If you take this information to a bank, your most likely response will be a blank stare followed by a comment to the tune of "we can give you our popular P&I loan package" without giving reasons why it benefits your situation.

As others have mentioned, get in contact with a decent mortgage broker who will able to structure your loan to give you the best advantage going forward.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn
    Terryw wrote:

Never go directly in my opinion. You need advice on structuring the loan and there are a few tax strategies you could employ with that deposit money too – have your cake and eat it type.

+1 very well said in just two lines.

"You need advice on structuring the loan and there are a few tax strategies…." don't be afraid to spend a couple of dollars to get some good tax advice as Terry suggests.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Participant
    @ronnie01

Thanks Guys I have a broker appointed and ready to throw hundred of questions, Do you guys know as of today how much FHOG is in victoria for already established housing not newly built but existing property is ???

Thanks

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc
    mattliasiian wrote:
    Thanks Guys I have a broker appointed and ready to throw hundred of questions, Do you guys know as of today how much FHOG is in victoria for already established housing not newly built but existing property is ???

Thanks

FHOG no longer available for existing properties in Victoria. Rules changed as of 1st July 2013.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Matt

Just make sure the Broker you go with has runs on the board.

Some of the feedback i am getting from forum clients about how they have been told to structure their loans is horrifying and totally inappropriate for their circumstances.

Although the FHOG is unavailable in VIC on second hand properties their may still be ways around maximising your borrowings to get into your first IP without having too save up a new deposit. i am sure your current Broker will advise you of this.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @ronnie01

Wow really is it that easy to be misled and have a very bad loan structure? 

I mean you know of my circumstances max price $300,000 want to buy for PPOR and than eventually turn it into IP after 3-5 years. Hopefully he will help me choose the best loan structure. Is there anything I should look out for? or really important questions to ask? Thank you so much for your advice I am very new to this and I rather ask dumb questions than make a dumb mistake. 

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi mattliasiian

Let's take it back a step.

Are you planning on renting this place out at some point and purchasing another PPOR?

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.