All Topics / Value Adding / Converting a laundry to bathroom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of setiseti
    @seti

Hi everyone,

I have been going through my councils rules on building (moreton bay council) and it is the same compared to the qld legislation. I have had a look and I believe that all plumbing work including installing additional toilets and showers come under notifiable work, which just means submitting a form 4. Next part is building permits and if it is self assesable you dont need a permit, you just need to make sure it complies to standards. So here is my question:

I have a 3 bedroom 1 bath house that I would like to convert to a 2 bathroom place. The current bathroom is next to the main bedroom, so I would knock out the bath and install a toilet with a P trap through the wall and connect to a pipe outside (plumber said this is all good), I would then move the door to where the bedroom is and sheet up the old door. This would create an ensuite. the shower is already there. The laundry was a big waste of space and was its own room with a seperate toilet on the room next to it and just outside the laundry and next to the toilet is a sliding wardrobe. Could I remove the sliding wardobe and make this new area the laundry, the plumber can use the waste from the toilet through the wall. I would then install a bathroom in the old laundry. There was a sliding door to exit the laundry to the side of the house however i will sheet this up and brick veneer the outside.

Aside from the electrical and plumbing work is all of this self assessable work under the building code? Does this mean I dont need a building permit? I have had a look at the writing and it states that you dont require a permit if you are not changing the floor space within the building (the floor space is the same), no structural changes to the building except for minor alterations where there is a beam or lintol and no more than 5 sqm of roof is affected by this (as i have only moved a lintol for a door and no beams have been changed this should be all good).

With this information it looks like I can do this without a builder and permit, all I have to do is use liscenced electricians and plumbers and submit the form 4 for notifiable work, is this correct? My end state may be to sell, and I would like no hicups on the building side.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing to hearing your replies.

Profile photo of setiseti
    @seti

I should add this is in Qld, so the legislation is probably different in other states.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

What name is the property held in?  If it's a SMSF you need to check you're not changing the nature of the dwelling while it is under a mortgage.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@seti

The building is in my name. Also for the future are there any issues with the same situation but the loan in a business name (renovate for profit)?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

A quick call to the Local Authority will answer all of your queries.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor I Ph: 07 3720 1888 I [email protected] 

Start your investment portfolio with our finance broking  / property service.

Want to retire at 40 ? Email me for a copy of my API interview.

Follow us on Facebook I Increase your monthly return with Vendor Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@seti

heya guys this is all good. The builder quoted me 40k for the job and i think i can do it for around 12k. I will keep everyone updated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.