All Topics / Help Needed! / My investment strategy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Mot_84Mot_84
    @mot_84

Hi, just wondering if I can get some advice on my investment strategy. I am 28 and am looking to buy my 2nd IP. I bought my first 3 years ago in west Footscray, a 2 bedroom unit which is doing ok. Now I know that land appreciates but as I am investing with between 200-300K, I was looking at getting another unit in a small older block within a 25km radius if Melbourne's cbd. My strategy is to buy units in good growth areas, whilst negatively gearing them, look for capital growth in all of them and accumulate profits, rather than buy a house on a big block to develop later. 

Does this strategy sound profitable? I need some assurance investing in units in good growth areas is still a good way to build a portfolio

Thanks 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Personally i would never buy a property that is loosing money from day 1 and rely on the fact that it might grow in value as i prefer some guarantee on return.

By following your strategy with each new purchase you are reducing your borrowing capacity accordingly and this will of course limit your wealth accumullation.

Also unless i own the whole block i personally don't buy property that has a body corporarate.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Mot_84

It sounds like your plan relies on you staying in a job for a long time in a highly-paying job so that at least the depreciation has some worth to you. 

It is a good idea to determine your desired outcome, and then craft a strategy that gets you there.  Rather than define a strategy and hope and pray it gets you your desired outcome.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

It sound like a profitable plan for the banker, agent, solicitor, property manager, even the tenants, but not you.

However, if you have a superior knowledge or even a crystal ball in finding captial growth, then it might be a different story.

I maybe wrong

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of opinderopinder
    Participant
    @opinder

Hi MOT_84,

Personally I like to stick within 20Kms CBD and to find a positive cash flow property is impossible within this range.

I don't like to invest my money in outer range suburbs as their are some issues regarding capital growth,  tenants and too much land available. If you can find a positive cash flow property around CBD area..Good luck. 

All the best!!

Profile photo of Mot_84Mot_84
    @mot_84

How does sunshine west sound? Good big blocks of land for low 300s? 

Profile photo of opinderopinder
    Participant
    @opinder

See If you can find something in Sunshine North otherwise Sunshine West is not bad as its close proximity to CBD and Transport is good too!

Good Luck

Profile photo of Mot_84Mot_84
    @mot_84

Thanks, what are others thoughts on sunshine west for capital growth in the future? 

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean
    opee wrote:
    Hi MOT_84,

Personally I like to stick within 20Kms CBD and to find a positive cash flow property is impossible within this range.

I don't like to invest my money in outer range suburbs as their are some issues regarding capital growth,  tenants and too much land available. If you can find a positive cash flow property around CBD area..Good luck. 

All the best!!

Positive cash flow property is not impossible to find within the range. Granted it is not easy to find and often you need to create it yourself, but I have seen it and it is possible.

You have to be willing to do TONNES of research and only buy for the right property though.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @ryan-mclean
    Mot_84 wrote:

A) Now I know that land appreciates but as I am investing with between 200-300K,

B) I was looking at getting another unit in a small older block within a 25km radius if Melbourne's cbd.

C) My strategy is to buy units in good growth areas, whilst negatively gearing them, look for capital growth in all of them and accumulate profits, rather than buy a house on a big block to develop later. 

D) Does this strategy sound profitable? I need some assurance investing in units in good growth areas is still a good way to build a portfolio

Let me address some of your concerns

A) Supply and demand generally determines growth. Although people say "it is the land that appreciates in value" this is not always true. Generally land grows in value as demand increases and the government is not releasing new land. But livable units also increase in value despite their small land ownership if people are in demand for units.

So instead of thinking "land goes up in value" think of things in terms of supply and demand.

B) Older units will have less depreciation available to you (building depreciation will probably be all dried up) and remember that buying a unit means you are forgoing almost all control over how you manage your costs. That becomes an issue of the body corporate and you only get your vote. If home owners want to spend money on something that won't be good for you as an investor but they outnumber you then you're going to have issues.

C) Negative gearing is easy, especially with units. You have increased costs due to strata costs. You need to work out if the capital gains will offset the negative cash flow enough for it to be worth it.

D) Here is an article I wrote that may help you if you decide to use this strategy – 7 things to check before buying an investment unit – but truthfully if I was you I would look into this strategy in more detail and see if it will actually bank you a profit and if anyone has become rich using this strategy. Sounds to me like you may acting out of fear a little bit and want to secure housing close to the CBD as you know the area and think it is safe.

Become a smarter investor through education and the world will open up to you.

Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Have to say would avoid Sunshine like the plague.

Think it had it day in the sun some years ago.

Also have to say there are a few legal inaccuracies in Ryan's 7 step check list so seek professional advice before proceeding.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @ryan-mclean
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Have to say would avoid Sunshine like the plague.

Think it had it day in the sun some years ago.

Also have to say there are a few legal inaccuracies in Ryan's 7 step check list so seek professional advice before proceeding.

Sent you an email Richard so I can try and fix these inaccuracies.

But yes, always seek professional advice before proceeding with any investment deal.

Email Me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.