All Topics / Help Needed! / Top Suburbs for property investing in Brisbane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of RamkiSydneyRamkiSydney
    Participant
    @ramkisydney

Hi Guys,

Could some one with expertise in Brisbane realestate please list top 5 suburbs for investment property in Brisbane with future capital growth (doesn't mind some negative gearing).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ramki

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Ramki,

I find that question a little difficult to answer without knowing more about your requirements.  e.g. "top 5" in what context?   Sounds like Capital Growth, but over what timeframe?   

e.g.  If I quoted a market that could double within 3 years, but there might be another that could triple in 5 years, which one is best for you?   

Also, what demographics are you chasing e.g. families, older couples, young progressives – wanting apartments, houses, townhouses, etc.  Please post a little more around what attributes would you see in a  "top 5" suburb,

Benny

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Agree with Benny we are starting to get a mountain of forum clients ask us to source investment property for them in Brisbane and the requirements of each investor is totally different when it comes to price, market demographics, unit or house, etc etc.

I certainly know where i am putting my money in Brisbane but that is not to say it is for every client.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of RamkiSydneyRamkiSydney
    Participant
    @ramkisydney

After reading Benny's reply I also agree with him. Was on a whirlwind tour of Brisbane (first time to Brisbane) and visited properties in Alderley, Kedron, Chermside, Nundah, Fortitude Valley, City in Upper Roma street, & Coopers Plains etc.

Liked FV & Chermside.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Here's an article from API magazine (from Sam Saggers who runs Positive Real Estate) that may be helpful to you

http://www.apimagazine.com.au/blog/2011/08/brisbane-is-it-time-to-catch-a-blue-chip-bargain-before-a-boom/

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Unfortunately the article is over 28 months old so hardly upto date.

Ramki couple of suburbs i don't mind but a couple I would avoid like the plague.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Unfortunately the article is over 28 months old so hardly upto date.

Ramki couple of suburbs i don't mind but a couple I would avoid like the plague.

Too right. Should have checked the article date before posting.

Here is a more recent post http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/battler-burbs-to-become-national-hotspots-in-2014/story-fndbalka-1226783863132

Unsure how reliable it is but here is what they say

Brisbane

In Brisbane, it's all about Kelvin Grove, where rental returns are averaging around the 7 per cent mark.

The suburb has already been gentrified but Mr Ryder believes there's still room for strong capital growth.

"Kelvin Grove is Brisbane's infrastructure central with a uni campus, major schools a cross-city tunnel and bus links to the airport," Mr Ryder said.

Ryder is also enthusiastic about Toowong in Brisbane's inner-west.

"Toowong is lovely area and is being targeting by a lot of people working in the mines because it is close to the city and the tunnel airport link."

Buyers should also consider the Redcliffe Peninsula due to the affordable homes, lifestyle features and transport infrastructure, he said.

The median house price in Redcliffe this year was $340,000.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes i agree i own a block of 6 x 2 units in Toowong and would buy another one tomorrow if i could find them at the right price.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of aussieguy2000aussieguy2000
    Participant
    @aussieguy2000

Not to sound facetious, but can everyone list the top 5 best films?

My point being, everyone will have a different opinion. Also price would be another thing, no good list 5 million dollar plus suburbs if you only want to spend $300K

For Brisbane, I am seeing a lot of activity stirring in Brissy and from experience am finding the inner north side not too bad (Chermside area and closer to the city not out in the sticks like North Lakes, not that it is a bad area, I just think it is too far out and the traffic is horrendous, but it's good for a middle class family with a single income).

I find Kedron to be a nice area, it is not too far from the city, near the toll road tunnels if you use them (and they can save a bit of time and traffic)  and the Kedron brook + bikeway is a nice family and dog friendly area, not to mention the nearby bus way. It is where the prices start going up, I also like Newmarket, Windor, Wilston, Grange area, but these areas get a bit pricey, there is also Wavell Heights, Chermside area that aren't too bad either.

As some others have mentioned Toowong is an not a bad place either, I enjoy that area when I go there, but I am not too sure on the pricing.

As for capital growth, that's always speculation, I find a handy bit of advice to ignore in this situation is the one on not getting emotionally attached. That's because if you can become emotionally attached to the area/ suburb (NOT house!!!) then others will too. Once you fall in love with it, put your investor cap back on and remove the emotion from the individual property purchase.

Profile photo of gfreergfreer
    @gfreer

Chermside compares with Melbourne's Box Hill or Sydney's Chatswood (with the same growth potential being similar distance to CBD and an expanding retail centre)

Nundah/Toombul has proven performance since recommending this location in 2005 (based on prospect of improved travel times with the Airport Link)

Inner South has further growth potential based on proposed new rail and existing educational / scientific research/medical amenity)

Regards

Graeme

Profile photo of RamkiSydneyRamkiSydney
    Participant
    @ramkisydney

wow…Chatswood & BoxHill, I llived in both the places (BoxHill in 2001)and prices exploded there…….looks is already hot (809 sqm is on market for 1.4 M)…I am thinking of looking at nearby suburbs which didn't catchup yet fully. Any opinions about Aspley woud be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses till now, lot of information.

Profile photo of s0805s0805
    Participant
    @s0805
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Agree with Benny we are starting to get a mountain of forum clients ask us to source investment property for them in Brisbane and the requirements of each investor is totally different when it comes to price, market demographics, unit or house, etc etc.

I certainly know where i am putting my money in Brisbane but that is not to say it is for every client.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard, certainly agree with different requirements for every investors….

I am in early stage of my reaserch for Brisbane as well. No idea about this market and nor am i after list of suburbs from someone to tell me where to invest (surely not media)…

My criteria is buying a unit of some sort (no high rise apartments) within 10K of Brisbane. Preferable 2BR..(subject to  demographics and other research)

Wondering if I can pick your brain about the mentality of Brisbane ppl specially comes to living…..capital growth….what sort of property they prefer…

lifestyle….things investors needs to know before buying smiley

Is there any part of the city u prefer for your clients….for 2 bedders…or something?

do they prefer living in  particular part of city more ( e.g for MELB in eastern sububs always had more capital growth than western side)

cheers

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny
    Quote:
    e.g for MELB in eastern suburbs always had more capital growth than western side

The East has a lot going for it particularly on the Eastern Seaboard of Australia. 

1.  If travelling to or from work, the Sun is NOT in your eyes (assuming you work a 9 – 5 work-day.).

2.  You are automatically going to be nearer the Coast with its cooling breezes.

3.  There is LESS land available to the East – most evident in Sydney where there is diddley squat to the East, but what IS there is some of the highest priced (and prized) real estate.  Still applicable but to a lesser degree in Brisbane – it is about 25Km to the Coast when heading East.

(I don't know how this East vs West thing might work in Perth…..) ????

Benny

Profile photo of s0805s0805
    Participant
    @s0805
    Benny wrote:
    Still applicable but to a lesser degree in Brisbane – it is about 25Km to the Coast when heading East.

Benny

Benny, what is the preferred side in Brisbane?

Profile photo of gazmatazzgazmatazz
    Participant
    @gazmatazz

Hi guys,

I've spent quite a bit of time working and living in Brisbane over the years. I have to say I agree with Aussieguy2000, it is absolutely a matter of opinion in terms of what suburb would make a good long term investment. Personally, I always preferred to live somewhere reasonably close to the CBD and with a family type feel to it. Kelvin Grove, Chermside are all good options because of the infrastructure/transport etc. Ultimately though, there is so much new development going on in the outskirts of Brisbane and job prospects have been a little up and down recently. I don't think there is such a thing as a sure thing, suburb wise anymore. As has been mentioned quite a few times though, it's all a matter of opinion! Try living there or talk to someone who has lived there to get  feel for the lifestyle.

I'd  love to hear if anyone has had a positive experience from owning a rental property in the Fairield/Ashgrove area..

Gaz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.